What to do if agent won't accept "unsolicited queries"?

Writing Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. So no unsolicited queries now. How in the heck can you get around that? What do you submit to request permission to submit a query for goodness sake? Think I'll bang my head against a wall now.
smile.gif

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Try and solicit a query.
Network a lot. Try to hang out where editors are - cons etc. Try to get an established writer to champion you.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, networking's pretty much the only opition for such agents. But keep an eye on them: they might have an "open" period if a current client goes elsewhere.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
query

Writing Jedi said:
Ugh. So no unsolicited queries now. How in the heck can you get around that? What do you submit to request permission to submit a query for goodness sake? Think I'll bang my head against a wall now.
smile.gif

You look for another agent. When an agent says "no unsolicited queries," it nearly always means she has all the clients she can handle in a professional manner. She might take on a client recommended to her by Stephen King or God, but that's it.

There almost never a time when it's productive to look for ways to land this agent. She has a reason for not wanting queries, else she wouldn't say she did. There are other agents. Go get one.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
query

Writing Jedi said:
smile.gif

Writing Jedi said:
smile.gif

You look for another agent. When an agent says "no unsolicited queries," it nearly always means she has all the clients she can handle in a professional manner. She might take on a client recommended to her by Stephen King or God, but that's it.

There almost never a time when it's productive to look for ways to land this agent. She has a reason for not wanting queries, else she wouldn't say she did. There are other agents. Go get one.