Is there a specific name for a person who illegally logs trees?

NicoleScripting

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a specific name for a person who participates in illegally logging? I can just write "illegal loggers" but I'm thinking maybe it has a name like poachers and what not.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was teeney when this happened on my grandfather's place out in East Texas. They'd shut it up for several months and come back to find that someone had cut 3 cords of wood. I think "poacher" was the exact word they used.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The name of the crime is Timber Trespass

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine was arrested for "cutting and destroying timber on the land of another at dusk". The judge dismissed with court costs, because no one had been charged under that statute for a few hundred years. He was cutting some branches for decorations.

More recently I have heard timber thieves, and it is a fairly big business.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In many states the timber trade is big money. Theft of such resources is no joke. If it happens on federal land (parks, reserves, etc.) the hammer-fall can be significant. The nomenclature applied to the perpetrator tends to evolve; suspected timber thief . . . person of interest . . . alleged felony suspect . . . defendant . . . convicted felon . . . convict.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Don't laugh. I have seen the term "timber rustler" used somewhere, but don't remember where.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Don't laugh. I have seen the term "timber rustler" used somewhere, but don't remember where.

I have also seen that, and it is funny. It creates an image of hired Ents herding the trees to where the boss (maybe Sharky) wants them.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Florida it's called illegal logging or illegal lumber harvesting. No special term for the perpetrators.

Jeff

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

I was actually about to mention this possibility. Back when I was a youthful young youth, I spent a chunk of a summer working in a sweet-corn canning factory in the Midwest. The farmers who grew sweet corn in the area had a serious problem with "corn rustlers", people who would sneak a pickup truck into a field in the dark of night and load it with ripe sweet corn. Some of these farmers actually hired people to watch the fields at night during the prime picking time. And, yes, these thieves were indeed called "corn rustlers".

caw

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
My family lived three miles from a community that was founded on logging. A person who logged illegally or who just outright stole trees was called a 'wood maggot'. Don't know how wide spread the term was. The town was Estacada Oregon.