First draft finished! My very first finished first draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keobooks

Registered
Reaction score
It's rough and super ugly. It need serious surgery to fix the holes that removing three characters caused. It need new scenes to fit the one new character in. The characters left need new scenes together so they can have more cohesive bonds. The fight scenes are trash and need serious attention. The dialogue.. The descriptions.. OK EVERYTHING needs to be worked on. This sucker is SO ugly.

it reminds me of when my own daughter was first born. She was so squished up and covered with slime. Honestly, she was ugly. All newborns are that way. Nobody looks good when they first pop out into the world. It takes a few days for them to look like people. But she was right there and alive! And I could finally see her! As ugly as she was, I thought she was the most beautiful baby that ever lived.

And now I look at my shabby ugly little draft and feel the same way. We've got a long way to go, but you're finally here, story. Happy first draft birthday!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, that's funny that you mentioned newborns because that's exactly what went through my mind when I read your first paragraph. It might be an ugly baby but who cares when it's YOUR baby! :p

Congrats anyway. Woot!

Hutching

Registered
Reaction score
This probably sounds egotistical but I enjoy re-reading what I have written. I love discovering and correcting the daft typos and clumsy phrasing. Most of all I like the sudden realisation that if I add this, or delete that, the whole product feels better. All a bit sad and geeky I guess, but the editing and correcting always gives me a lot of pleasure.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations :)

Finishing your first first draft is a pretty special feeling.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! You've now done more than 90% of people who start writing a novel do. Go you!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
This probably sounds egotistical but I enjoy re-reading what I have written. I love discovering and correcting the daft typos and clumsy phrasing. Most of all I like the sudden realisation that if I add this, or delete that, the whole product feels better. All a bit sad and geeky I guess, but the editing and correcting always gives me a lot of pleasure.
Nope, editing can be fun!

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, it's a great feeling when you finish that first draft.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work, Keobooks! I'll be thinking of you plugging away on your second draft as I try to (gently) pummel my own ugly baby into shape :) Exciting times!

Rilester

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely love the comparison to a newborn! Congratulations and a high five to you!!!

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!! That's such a great feeling. It never really goes away either, no matter how many drafts you write. My favorite is when I print off my hard copy to edit and I can hug it to my chest, still warm off the printer. It almost seems alive. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.