Multiple queries

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was on an agent's website, which allowed you to query via internet with a form they provided there. The last question says, "Is this a multiple query?" Now the only other place I've seen the phrase "multiple query" is on another agency's website where they were explaining which agent you should submit to in that agency & said "No multiple queries of course." I took it to mean not to query more than one of the agents in that agency. Is that truly what it meant (& not "no simultaneous queries")? When it asks "Is this a multiple query?" is that asking me if I'm querying it anywhere else at all (which I will be), or if I'm just querying it to two agents within the same agency (which I won't be)?

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I'm no agent, but I think "no multiple queries" means don't query us for two works at the same time. It might also mean what you suggested -- don't query two agents at that agency at the same time.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If they don't mean "Do we already have a query from you for something else?", then they have a poor grasp of industry terms on top of poor communication skills. :Hammer:

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Multiple queries generally means more than one query to that particular agency/publisher, while simultaneous queries generally means submitting to more than one agency/publisher at a time. (At least that's always been the impression I've gotten.)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. It wouldn't have occured to me to query two novels at the same time to the same agency, so I hadn't even thought of that explanation.