PDA

View Full Version : Gemstones

MaryMumsy
05-06-2016, 03:29 AM
Not for a story, since I don't write.

I have several turquoise necklaces. I'm not ready to hand all my jewelry over to relatives and friends yet, but want to designate who gets what.

Would it be harmful to the turquoise to put each one in a plastic bag with a typed narrative of where/when/from whom I got it? There are small amounts of silver involved with each one, like the clasps.

MM

Katharine Tree
05-06-2016, 03:49 AM
Plastic bags are suboptimal because they don't breath, and unstabilized turquoise is a porous stone (do you know if your pieces are stabilized or not?). I suggest you invest in silver-cloth bags. They will breathe to keep the turquoise healthy, and keep tarnish on the silver to a minimum.

MaryMumsy
05-06-2016, 04:23 AM
Two I'm fairly certain are not stabilized, they are authentic Native American pieces. One is probably not stabilized, purchased from a store rather than from the artist. And the last, who knows, made by a non-native person, but in a native style. I'll look into the silver cloth bags. I have those for my mother's and grandmother's sterling flatware. Thanks for the info.

Getting older is not fun. But I would like to do what I can so that certain pieces go to certain people. I haven't worn any of my silver/turquise jewelry in years, and some pieces I already gave to my younger brother. I told him I was hanging onto the silver flatware in case I ever needed to sell it to buy groceries :evil. He has two daughters, they will eventually get the flatware.

MM

blacbird
05-06-2016, 06:03 AM
Getting older is not fun.

. . . until you consider the alternative.

caw

WeaselFire
05-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Not for a story, since I don't write.

If you don't write, how did you accumulate nearly 3,000 posts in a writer's forum?

Jeff

MaryMumsy
05-07-2016, 12:16 AM
If you don't write, how did you accumulate nearly 3,000 posts in a writer's forum?

Jeff

I should clarify that I don't write with any goal of publication. Obviously I write posts. Mostly in the non-technical areas: office party, food, politics, hands on, animals, movies. There is such a wealth of knowledge here that it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

My "daughter" is a multi published mid-lister and sucked me over to the dark side back in '08. Since I retired in '14, it has only gotten worse.

MM