What to do with cheap (nasty) blue cheese?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Probably someone will say 'throw it away' but I just can't throw away food...

So, I love cheese, but my budget is tight so I went for the bigger, cheaper block of blue cheese at the Hole Fooz and it has an aftertaste kind of like vomit. So I'm wondering what I can do with it so that I can eat it without tasting that taste. I'm thinking of cooking something with it, like something that would mask some of that aftertaste. I don't have any dietary restrictions but my stove is broken so I can't do any roasting/baking...

If anybody has some suggestions about how to use this cheese, I'd love to hear them :)

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I was going to suggest throwing it away, and then I saw your first sentence. Haha.

Blue cheese dressing? Mind you, I hate cheese, especially blue cheese, so I wouldn't know if that would cover the icky taste.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it tastes so bad you don't want to taste it, it will probably still taste bad in anything you make with it. Since you don't want to throw it away, do you know anybody you can give it to who likes super-funky blue cheese? Or a dog?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flushing it down the toilet wouldn't be wasting it, just skipping a step.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree I'd be wary of cooking with it if you don't like the aftertaste. It'd be hard to get rid of that by cooking with it. Maybe in a garlicky bechamel if you wanted to do a creamy blue cheese sauce for a pasta.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The answer may be to use it in small amounts and freeze the unused portions. I'd probably use it along with another cheese and some black olives in a stuffed meatloaf or maybe a chicken cordon bleu. You could also use it in some cheese stuffed rolls.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I hear everyone about the cooking maybe not getting rid of the nasty aftertaste. I think I need some really strong other flavors to clobber it. I really like the idea of sharing it with a dog, though. I like dogs. Would be funny if the dogs didn't like it either.

George, mixing it with black olives sounds like a pretty good idea. I was thinking about prosciutto. I wish my oven was working. I'd make something like roast chicken with all kinds of other flavors...

Freezing it & using it in small doses and using it in small doses had kind of occurred to me in the back of my head...

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
You guys - I tried toasting it on crackers mixed with other cheese. I'm going to be looking for some dogs to share this with. Though I expect they won't like it, either.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs will love it. Our Nina God Rest her Soul was a fan of fermented turtle brains. MAN that thing reeked that she dredged out of the pond. Bleu Cheese...not a problem for dogs.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Melon. Get a good cantaloupe or musk melon. Eat small amounts of the cheese with each cube of melon. Works perfectly to kill the bad part of the blue cheese, but only the bad part. I've had to do it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tbh, I'd just throw it out. I can't see using an ingredient that I think is nasty in anything, really.

Last edited: