PDA

View Full Version : MS Word Templates for covers

SelfPubber
05-05-2016, 01:38 AM
Below are a couple of templates you can use to make book covers in MS Word. Word has a bunch of drawing features you may not be aware of, and you can import. I thought the templates might be of use/interest to someone:

5 x 8 cover:
https://mikesheedy.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/5x8-template-ms-word.doc

6 x 9 cover:
https://mikesheedy.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/6x9-template-ms-word.doc

blacbird
05-05-2016, 07:08 AM
MS-Excel is FAR FAR FAR FAR better at graphic stuff than is MS-Word. I use Excel for all kinds of graphic things in both my technical business report production and in my more hobbyistic public domain publication effort. When if comes to graphics, Word is a Yugo to Excel's Mercedes.

caw

kevinwaynewilliams
05-05-2016, 08:15 AM
When if comes to graphics, Word is a Yugo to Excel's Mercedes.

I strain to come up with a more suitable analogy. Something closer to "Word is a rusty bicycle running on flat tires to Excel's Subaru 360 running on one cylinder" seems suitable, but that may still be giving both of them excessive praise.

blacbird
05-06-2016, 06:28 AM
I'm not trying to claim that Excel is a real graphics program. But it does handle graphics in a far superior manner to MS-Word. Most people, even those familiar with Excel as a spreadsheet program, are unaware of a lot of these capabilities. There are still a lot of things I'd like to see Microsoft improve with graphics in Excel, but that's like asking a piece of granite to be softer, I suppose.

caw

Gale Haut
05-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm not trying to claim that Excel is a real graphics program. But it does handle graphics in a far superior manner to MS-Word. Most people, even those familiar with Excel as a spreadsheet program, are unaware of a lot of these capabilities. There are still a lot of things I'd like to see Microsoft improve with graphics in Excel, but that's like asking a piece of granite to be softer, I suppose.

caw

I wonder if this is unique to you because you have so much professional experience with the software. I don't know that we should encourage people to use it for designing book covers, when there is already dedicated software for that handles that sort of thing.

Also, to the OP I strongly discourage using Word for this kind of design.

EMaree
05-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Hobbyist illustrator here, with some print experience, and I'm cringing hard at the idea of using a .DOC file to make a book cover. Not only would that take a lot of effort, but it would cause a lot of issues trying to go from .doc to print-ready/web ready cover art. The templates are wonderful, Mike, but using .docs for a cover design really adds a lot of unnecessary complications to the process.

I love your tenacity in making Word covers, but I noticed in your Fortune Telling Mazes (https://mikesheedy.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/fortune-telling-mazes-ad.pdf)book you seem confident in vectors. I'm assuming these are true vectors and not rasterized false vectors. If you're using a professional vector graphics application (not necessarily Illustrator, Inkscape would be fine) it would be much better suited for cover creation than Word.

blacbird
05-06-2016, 10:48 PM
I wonder if this is unique to you because you have so much professional experience with the software. I don't know that we should encourage people to use it for designing book covers, when there is already dedicated software for that handles that sort of thing.

Also, to the OP I strongly discourage using Word for this kind of design.

Well, the latter was the issue posed in the OP, so that's what I responded to. Obviously if you want a really high-level graphic work, you need a program dedicated to that purpose. But those tend to be expensive, and if you already have Excel, there are a fair number of useful things you can do with it. In any case, my main point was that it's much better than Word for any such purpose.

caw