I need help with subject line of query

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
I've had an agent decline a query, but invite me to send along anything else I have.

My question is, how would I send that new query?

Should I send it in the same thread as the rejected query? I think that's odd.

Should I send it as a new thread/query, but how do I bring it to the attention of the agent that it's "kind of" been requested?

I know to reference it in the query letter itself, but I'm talking about the subject line.

What would anyone suggest as a subject line? Just send it as a typical query, or use some kind of key word?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Was this a personalized rejection? (I've rarely gotten these on queries alone.) Or simply a form rejection that invited you to submit again in the future?

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
Yes it was a personalized post script added after the form rejection inviting me to send along something else.

This happens when an agent likes your writing, recognizes you have talent or however you want to put it, but the particular ms you sent just isn't right at that time.

So, I'm wondering how to address the new query. It seems to me a step up from the slush pile, but I know it isn't a request for a full submission either.

I supposed it would be like how a person is asked by an agent at a conference to send along a query, how does one address that?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've thought about this as I've had similar invites after full rejections (not yet acted upon). I don't think you can really do anything about it in the Subject line. I think it's the first few sentences of the query. They (or their assistant) will move it up the pile, I imagine. I feel like it would be less likely to be "wrong" sending it to the query queue with a reminder that you'd been invited to submit your next project than going straight to their inbox and possibly annoying someone. But I'm a worry-wart about stepping on toes, so I'll be interested to see how others respond to your question, LuckyStar.

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I was wondering about it because, you know, we always have to have something to worry about to get in the way of just doing it.

What I assumed was I would send it as a new query and reference the request in the first sentence as an opening, such as how you'd say I see in your blurb on #MSWL you're interested in fishing and boy, do I have a whopper of a fish story for you...Or you'd say I caught your lecture at CrimeBake, and this is right up your alley. But really you'd say, you asked to see something else, here it is, etc.

But because of all the #ing that goes on now, I see some agents say they want you to # the subject line, to greenlight you through the slushpile, so I was wondering if this would be similar.

I've also seen agents say to keep all email correspondence to the original thread, so :Shrug:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm feel the same as Elaine on this one. Query as normal but mention the request for new material in the space where you personalize the query.

The difference between this and a request from a conference, I think, is that the conference request is still a request for a specific work that, presumably, the agent has discussed in some way with the writer. The request for you to send in "anything else" is more generic. It's a "hey, feel free to query me again in the future," rather than, "Oh, yes, send me this one thing you're talking about."