Breaking: John Kasich is dropping out

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Now that he's out I wonder if he'll consider joining Trump on the ticket - if offered. He's got government experience and is popular in Ohio, which Trump must win. On the other hand, he did not do well in the primaries and he may be considered too moderate to attract the conservative wing that does not like Trump.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little bit sad actually. I think this country is healthier when the discourse is healthy. It's too bad, although I don't know how much shot Kasich actually had other than to keep people talking about politics and less about all the distractions (dickstractions?).

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So is there any way possible not to have Trump be the nomination?

I'm gonna go hang myself now.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I think this country is healthier when the discourse is healthy.

I totally agree with you. My thinking is we should all discuss and debate with an open mind and we can all learn. The only thing is reasonable discussion and debate seem to be in short supply this election season.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am not happy. I'd been really hoping for a contested convention and anyone but Trump. The mere possibility that he might be our president horrifies me.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not seeing how this--if it's true--is a "welcome" surprise. Unless one is a big fan of Trump. Apologies if that's the case.

To me, the "Welcome" part was the removal of a major distraction. With no way for Kasich to win the nomination, I think if he were to remain in the race, this ponderous process of [ETA: our presidential selection process and its] insults, lies, and stress would continue and it's hard on citizens.

I did like Kasich and wished the polls favored him more, but alas...

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking that Drumpf might surprise us all and be a sturdy, competent leader.

And then monkeys started flying out of my butt.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I was thinking that Drumpf might surprise us all and be a sturdy, competent leader.

And then monkeys started flying out of my butt.

I've wondered if there's a possibility. It's hard to believe, but then again, who ever would have thought we'd end up with Trump as a real contender.

I think it's possible he'll simply select people to actually do the job. "I want Isis defeated. Go make it happen." And then it's a matter of who he gets for those positions.

It's a thought. Not one I have a lot of faith in, but don't take it away from me just yet.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Vince, if you're going to consider that one, you could also try considering the possibility that Clinton might do a pretty good job as president too... :p

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've wondered if there's a possibility. It's hard to believe, but then again, who ever would have thought we'd end up with Trump as a real contender.

I think it's possible he'll simply select people to actually do the job. "I want Isis defeated. Go make it happen." And then it's a matter of who he gets for those positions.

It's a thought. Not one I have a lot of faith in, but don't take it away from me just yet.

At the very least, he'd be embarrassing. Even if he never got around to his wall, gutting the first amendment, or shipping off all the Muslims, he'd be routinely saying and doing things that would cause our allies and the rest of the world (except perhaps Putin) to react with derision, scorn, and/or anger.

Sure, we've had gaffe-prone presidents before and presidents who said unpopular things. But Trump is in a class by himself, IMO. And he doesn't give a shit if he's offensive, so any vile statement he spews, he'll likely grind in with his heel.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score

The George W. Bush method. *shudders*

This is a slow motion train wreck, and I'm stuck watching from one of the cars in the back.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I admit, it irks me that Kasich has had some success passing himself off as a moderate, but watching Trump cruise into the convention the last candidate (boy, did I type and erase a lot of options) standing makes me weep for humanity. Even if he somehow (is there even a way) he doesn't get the nomination, even if he's trounced in the general, I will still feel those ten million votes for him as a wound. Yes, I am that dramatic, but I also mean it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah, that was the theory with GWB.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Vince, if you're going to consider that one, you could also try considering the possibility that Clinton might do a pretty good job as president too... :p

Besides, Trump may be victim of a heart-attack before November. Or perhaps he'll be driven over by a bus.

Last edited:

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

I have. I really have. I tried to keep an open mind about her. I even voted for her re-election for the senate once.

But all I see with her is one scandal after another. All the bad that we got out of Bill's term without any of the good.

There's only one good thing about her getting elected, and that's the fact that if she does, Trump doesn't.

Unfortunately, the same is true for the reverse.

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, this country is screwed no matter what. It's just a matter of which eye I want to stab myself in.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, this country is screwed no matter what. It's just a matter of which eye I want to stab myself in.

Though my opinion's not as dire as yours, for the first time in my voting life I'm squarely "undecided." All I can hope for is in the coming months the right answer will come through the fog.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I have. I really have. I tried to keep an open mind about her. I even voted for her re-election for the senate once.

But all I see with her is one scandal after another. All the bad that we got out of Bill's term without any of the good.

There's only one good thing about her getting elected, and that's the fact that if she does, Trump doesn't.

Unfortunately, the same is true for the reverse.

I think part of that is having to consider whether the scandals are as bad as they seem to you now as well.

Maaaaybe Benghazi was simply a tragic and cowardly attack that was difficult to sort out even for the people who had all the intelligence, and she would have dearly loved to spend her time figuring out how it happened and how to make sure it doesn't happen again rather than arguing the semantics of whether a "terrorist attack" is equivalent to an "act of terror".
Maaaaybe she's not all that technically proficient, and more than a little paranoid about what Republicans might do with her personal email, especially in the middle of her daughter planning a wedding, and took some bad advice on how to handle it.

DoNoKharms

Registered
Reaction score
The shared animus towards the two baffles me a little, because it feels like they represent such different things. Clinton is, for better or worse, a continuation of the status quo, an extension of Obama's policies, with perhaps a slightly more aggressive domestic push and a more interventionist foreign policy. If you're looking for change, either from the right or the left, obviously that's not ideal... but I don't understand how you could envision it as catastrophic. The country's had 16 combined years of Clinton/Obama; it's still standing, prospering in some eras, floundering in others. I think the worst you could say about a Clinton presidency is that not much will change for the better, but I don't know how you'd argue she'll meaningfully change things for the worse. And if you're even remotely left-leaning, even if Clinton screws absolutely everything else up, her impact on the Supreme Court will be vastly better than Trump's.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I think a lot of the animus against Clinton is not really well-founded dislike of her policies or her scandals (most of which I agree are overstated, though the email thing still bugs me).

It's because she's a Clinton. Americans have an inherent dislike of political dynasties - the Kennedies have floundered, we had two Bush presidencies and Jeb tanked going for a third, and now we have a former First Lady who wants to be President.

I think she'd have an easier time if she hadn't already spent eight years in the White House.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little bit sad actually. I think this country is healthier when the discourse is healthy. It's too bad, although I don't know how much shot Kasich actually had other than to keep people talking about politics and less about all the distractions (dickstractions?).

Though the thought that he is the nominee still horrifies me, I think Trump will clean up his act for the general election and engage in discourse that is no better or no worse than any other politician's. He will make an effort to "be more presidential," as he likes to say.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
Though the thought that he is the nominee still horrifies me, I think Trump will clean up his act for the general election and engage in discourse that is no better or no worse than any other politician's. He will make an effort to "be more presidential," as he likes to say.

There was an interesting article about that this morning. One political writer theorized that the reason Trump appeared so depressed and distracted when he spoke to his peeps after Cruz quit was because he was not looking forward to ending his modus operandi and ditching the derision and dick-measuring for a more professional act. The author further intimated that Trump was in a rough spot. His hardcore peeps really like it when he derides his opponents with language they can identify with. If he goes 'full presidential' he may risk alienating them.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
The author further intimated that Trump was in a rough spot. His hardcore peeps really like it when he derides his opponents with language they can identify with. If he goes 'full presidential' he may risk alienating them.

And they'll vote for Hillary Clinton instead? Somehow I don't see it.