The most important topic of all...chocolate chips

What are the best chocolate chips for pancakes?

• Total voters

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
There's a little cafe downstairs from my office that makes amazing pancakes. Now they're taking my suggestion and adding chocolate chip pancakes to the menu!

However, they don't know what kind of chips to use. Since it was my request, they'll get whatever I suggest, but I don't know what to tell them. There are so many kinds of chocolate, and my cooking skills are mediocre.

So I decided this would be a perfect opportunity to make my first AW poll... as soon as I figure out how to set it up.*

What's the optimal chip for use in pancakes?

*That wasn't so hard. :)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I went with semi-sweet. Reasoning: Semi is the perfect blend of bitter and sweet even when additional sweet is added (sugar in the batter, syrup, or even a light dusting of powdered sugar). Semi also holds its "form" better than milk chocolate--won't melt too quickly--giving you that burst of chocolate with each bite; iow, semi lets you know it's there. Dark chocolate would work, too, but its use is more dependent on the additional sweeteners added as noted above to get the perfect blend of sweet and bitter, unless it's a pre-sweetened dark. The others aren't chocolate and I love my chocolate. :greenie

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a milk chocolate fan

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
As dark as possible -- at least 70% or preferably 85% cocoa content (even 90%) I like it potent. I'm good with semi-sweet, too.

I don't care for most American milk chocolate. I won't waste calories on a hershey bar, for example -- to me, the texture is weird and they taste like chemicals. The Brits and Europeans do it better, but I'd still rather have dark chocolate any day. And white chocolate isn't chocolate to me. It's not that I hate it, but I can easily pass on it. Indeed, I'd rather have a piece of good fruit than either milk or white chocolate.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Semi-sweet or dark, if I have to settle for chips.

But really, I prefer Hagelslag, 'cause the Dutch, man. They understand chocolate for breakfast.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm partial to a rich, smooth milk chocolate for gorging; but, for pancakes, I had to go with the semi-sweet.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, lady--I can always count on you to focus on the truly important things. Count me in for semi-sweet.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd snorf on the chocolate chips while I cooked my butter-impregnated, savory pancakes. I've always been that way with pancakes/waffles/crepes -- I'd rather throw sausage in 'em than put syrup on 'em (and chocolate should not be diluted so much with lesser ingredients).