Chinese candy

Cabbit

Registered
Reaction score
What sort of candy or treats might a girl encounter in China in a city around the Schezuan area? Would there be street vendors or would you have to walk into a shop?

Thanks in advance!!

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
I remember one

I went for a tour in Jiuzhaigou in China about ten years ago so my info might be a bit outdated.I remember men walking around the streets with poles bristling with skewers of fruits coated in a hard glaze of sugar. It seems popular with the locals, but i didn't like the flavor. :pI also remembered small shops selling local delicacies.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not from China, but I'm a Chinese in Singapore. That's close enough, right?;) Anyway, here's a little something that's widespread. It's a favorite when I was a kid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(candy)

This!! My Chinese roomie always brings me back some candy after visiting her parents. She always brings a big bag of White Rabbit and usually some sort ot Matcha cookies.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
My former sister-in law was Korean and I don't remember what it was called but used to bring back these things that had obviously been made in a factory, supposedly Chinese but I have no idea where, some sort of bean based gum drop that had absolutely no flavor. You could feel it in your mouth. It required a little chewing, but absolutely no flavor. It was so bizarre.

Last edited:

xbriannova

Registered
Reaction score
This!! My Chinese roomie always brings me back some candy after visiting her parents. She always brings a big bag of White Rabbit and usually some sort ot Matcha cookies.

As for me, I'd always get those White Rabbits by the heaps during visits to my relative or Chinese New Year. Those were the days. Anyway, here's another favourite childhood candy of mine. I remember eating entire packets of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haw_flakes

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
A bit late to the party. :)

Okay, first up, the name is also commonly written as "Sichuan"; it means "four villages".

Sichuan sweets / candy / sugar snacks... Well, you didn't say if you wanted modern or ancient, so:

I searched in Chinese; an English search gave me fits :p . You'll have to use Google translate; sorry. If Google translate doesn't make sense for the candy you want, PM me. :)

Hope this helps.

SinoFyl

Registered
Reaction score
I went for a tour in Jiuzhaigou in China about ten years ago so my info might be a bit outdated.I remember men walking around the streets with poles bristling with skewers of fruits coated in a hard glaze of sugar. It seems popular with the locals, but i didn't like the flavor. :pI also remembered small shops selling local delicacies.

Were they small, red and round (fruits on a skewer)? It was probably candied (mountain) haw -- very common, but not my cup of tea, either.

Scandal665

Registered
Reaction score

I remember those fruity treats. The pineapple ones were my favorite! I was in northern chance, in Liaoning province and they had those there as well.