Cheyenne Comic Con

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
A Comic Con in Wyoming. That just sounds weird, doesn't it?

Or maybe I'm the only one picturing Stormtroopers in cowboy boots. ;)

Wyoming's first Comic Con. My first Comic Con. I was so pumped for this when I first heard about it in December, I couldn't wait. Now that the date is closing in fast, with mere days left for me to finish costumes, I'm starting to feel self conscious. And old. :(

Debating if I should even dress up, since my costume is original character. Maybe I will just wear a name tag that says, "Hi, my name is Wicked".

Anyone else going?
Any advice?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Dress up. Even if it's an OC, even if no one realizes you're a character, it's still fun, and if the costume is cool, you'll still get attention. I'm half a continent from Wyoming, but I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, congrats on going and have a great time. Second, wear your most comfortable walking shoes. Sweetie, you're no older than more than half the crowd that's going to be there. Third, bring water, it can get warm at those Cons. Fourth, have a blast. Fifth-this might sound dumb but some people don't know, Cons are cash only for pics, autographs, etc. When my sister went to NYCC for me she thought she could pay by credit card for stuff. Sixth, I'm insanely jealous. Tony Todd is on my dream autograph list since he was Dreadwing.

True story-A friend's son was going to a Con to get me some autographs. Morning of the show he was sick, so my friend, being a great hearted guy, drove in the pouring rain to the Con. Absolutely not his scene. It wasn't crowded when he got there, so he was first in line for Rob Paulsen. Rob was wearing a Detroit Tigers hat, my friend is a devoted Red Sox fan, the two ended up talking baseball for half an hour.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never been to Wyoming. I have never been to a Comic-Con. I'm jealous. I would love to do some of these things, but hubby is an old fogey and would pitch a fit. Wear your costume, hold your head high, and remember: what happens at Con, stays at Con.

MM

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
what happens at Con, stays at Con.

MM

Not always. Most CC have a disclaimer when you buy tickets that by purchasing the ticket you give consent for the CC to use any picture they may take of you for promotional purposes. Plus attendees usually take pictures of everything they see and post them. Although most CC have an "ask permission before you photograph someone else policy"

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not always. Most CC have a disclaimer when you buy tickets that by purchasing the ticket you give consent for the CC to use any picture they may take of you for promotional purposes. Plus attendees usually take pictures of everything they see and post them. Although most CC have an "ask permission before you photograph someone else policy"

Forgot to use :sarcasm.

MM

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
;) My 13-year-old will be with me. I'm not expecting to raise too much hell.

Her, on the other hand . . .

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will dress up.

So far I've put the most time and money into my eldest's costume. He is starting to sound like he wants to back out. :rant:

I might end up being Jonah Hex. Wonder how Jonah looks with a pony tail?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty awesome.

:D I was getting excited about the idea, too, but eldest changed his mind again. Sheesh.

Oh, and hubby, who poo-pooed the idea of wearing a costume, asked me what I was making for him yesterday. :gaah
I told him to dig something out of the Rendezvous box. If anyone asked, he could tell them he was Grizzly Adams.

Rebooting youngest son's old Alucard costume for my daughter. Spent two days trying to wash the years worth of Halloween candy stains out of the white gloves. They aren't what they once were. LOL

Youngest son cut all his hair off the other day, and realized he looked just like Sherman, from Sherman and Mr. Peabody, when he put on a silly pair of round black glasses.

Middle son wouldn't be caught dead with us bunch of geeks.

And I guess I will just break out the black leather spider armor I wore to Zombiefest, even though I didn't get anything new made for it.

Four days left. Woohoo! Let's hear it for pushing deadlines. :tongue

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently sitting at my desk, wearing the gun belt I made for son's Jonah Hex costume. I should just keep it, and make him wear my elfish black spider armor. :ROFL:

Also, realized I forgot to make the cartridge belt for the gun rig. Doh! There's several hours worth of work I should have done a month ago.

Just finished punching the gazillion little holes in the strap, and waiting for the first coat of dye to dry.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
First, congrats on going and have a great time. Second, wear your most comfortable walking shoes. Sweetie, you're no older than more than half the crowd that's going to be there. Third, bring water, it can get warm at those Cons. Fourth, have a blast. Fifth-this might sound dumb but some people don't know, Cons are cash only for pics, autographs, etc. When my sister went to NYCC for me she thought she could pay by credit card for stuff.
Check with your Con before walking around in a crowd with a bunch of cash.

Both Denver's long-running StarFest and the Denver ComicCon take credit cards for pictures, autographs, merchandise and even the food vendors prefer electronic payment.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wicked, I think it would be epic for your son to go as Sherman.

Check with your Con before walking around in a crowd with a bunch of cash.

Both Denver's long-running StarFest and the Denver ComicCon take credit cards for pictures, autographs, merchandise and even the food vendors prefer electronic payment.

That's interesting about those Cons, they're the only ones I've heard of doing that.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Reporting back. :D
Had a lot of fun. Glad I went in costume. It really adds to the whole experience.

Alucard and Jonah Hex got a lot of love, but Youngest son reports that only one person seemed to recognize him as Sherman. It was a lovely princess Leia, who chatted with him for about twenty minutes, so he seemed pretty content without further recognition.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Sixth, I'm insanely jealous. Tony Todd is on my dream autograph list since he was Dreadwing.

He cancelled at the last minute. :( So did most of the Arrow cast.

My daughter is more of a Flash fan, but she wanted to meet Katrina Law, because she likes Nyssa. That was a bummer.

Fortunately, she's such an Umbrella Corp fangirl, that the minute she saw all the black uniforms walking around, she forgot all about movie stars.

Funny, too, because two UC guys saw her and were fanboying over her Alucard costume. They asked to get their picture with her. She was giddy and weak in the knees afterwards. You'd think the Flash himself had just come up and given her a hug. Too cool.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a bummer about the cancellations. What a fantastic time for your daughter.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
So who's going with me next year?

Reg? Mary? Max? Myrealana?
Come on now, I know you all want to. ;)

You can come out, and I can corrupt you all. *cough* I mean, you can come out, and I can show you around.

They did a cute little video for the con.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-U41A6BVfM

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
If I still lived in the Greeley area, I'd go in a heartbeat.

I suppose it depends on who's on the guest list next year. We'll be at Denver Comicon, but it's getting so popular, the crowds can be suffocating.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
The one good thing about the con being small, compared to Denver and San Diego anyway, is that even when it was crowded, it wasn't too crowded.

The guests were really accessible to people. Every time I passed Ernie Hudson's table, he was chatting with someone. People actually had a chance to visit, rather than just a line of, sign, "next", sign, "next", etc.

And judging by all the pictures I've seen of Manu Bennet, he looked like he was having a really good time. (One of those I regretted not tracking down. I really do like Deathstroke)

I don't really do the celebrities and autographs thing, but I kind of regretted not taking the opportunity to stop and say hi to a few of them.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Fort Collins and wanted to go this year to see Manu Bennett. Love him in Arrow and Spartacus. Just couldn't make it work. Next year, though!

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Fort Collins and wanted to go this year to see Manu Bennett. Love him in Arrow and Spartacus. Just couldn't make it work. Next year, though!

Yay! I have an AW neighbor!

Fort Collins is my go to place for fancy goldfish, and baby chicks.

Bummer you missed him. He even stayed an extra day.
I'm not sure if they trapped him here, or he just really liked Cheyenne. :roll:

I passed Steve Coulter in an empty hallway twice, and all my antisocial butt did was smile and nod.
At least I hope I was smiling. The nerves in my face are messed up. Sometimes I think I'm smiling, and I'm not, and when I try to force a smile, it looks like I have a freaking rictus.

Geez. Now I feel like a jerk.
*note to self- make helmet with full face plate for next year*

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I got stuck in an elevator with Sean Astin once at Denver's StarFest - many years ago.

I was so star-struck, I could barely speak. It was only like 2-3 minutes before the elevator started moving again, but it felt like days of awkward silence.

Two years ago when Peter Davison was at Denver Comicon, we bought a picture with him, and once again, I shook his hand and grinned like an idiot. He commented on the matching Doctor Who Experience shirts my husband and I were wearing. "I have that shirt!" I giggled and nodded like I don't know how to speak English.

I suck at being a fangirl.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like me.

I'd have spent the whole elevator ride thinking, "Gee, I should say hi, or make eye contact, or some other normal human pleasantry that I can't seem to master". :roll:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a great video. One of these days I'm getting to Con, once I've squashed my panic attacks. It will be one of the smaller ones too. The big ones, NYCC, SDCC, etc are just too crowded, too much and too overwhelming. I don't think people realize how many great celebs and attractions the smaller Cons get.

The Con I posted about earlier is here in MA, MassiveCon out in Worcester and the friend who went for me said it was a great size. Enough people for it to be a good time and small enough to be comfortable.