Weather & writing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
I started writing a play in January. Everything was going great (first part finished, and I wrote the ending of the second part -there's no third part). Then I just stuck, though the play is complete in my mind. Fifty pages filled, and I just cannot write down ten more pages, in order to fill the missing parts in my play. It might sound strange, but I have the impression that the reason why I can't finish my play is called Spring or April. I think that the change of seasons affects my writing. In winters and falls I am, always, more productive than in springs and summers.

I hope you will agree with me, otherwise there's big probability that I went crazy (as Gogol did when he tried to finish his second volume of the Dead Souls) :rant: If you agree, please tell me a place in the US where is raining all the time, so I can move ASAP...

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Let's hope those clouds & storms keep moving north :) Here is cloudy today, a good day to write, but mom has Orthodox Easter. Hence, I have to drink wine instead of writing :)

Let's hope it will keep cloudy the forthcoming days, so I can continue where I left off...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I am least productive in the wintertime and dread the winter months even though I live in the subtropics.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I've noticed a definite pattern to my productivity and blame astrology. The Sun passes through certain parts of my chart at certain times of year and I just lose my momentum. But also, you're right--when the weather is nice, I tend to want to sit outside and read rather than write.

The rainiest cities in the US are generally located in the Southeast (Florida, Alabama, Louisiana).

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
The rainiest cities in the US are generally located in the Southeast (Florida, Alabama, Louisiana).

Well... yes and no. While it's true we get a lot of rain in Florida, we get the vast majority of it in the span of just a few months - hurricane season. The rest of the year we can go weeks without a drop of rain.

For the most rainy days per year, Oregon is a good place to be.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I find hours of rain or dark or cold with little chance of doing anything outside helps my productivity. I especially work well in the hours of darkness from when I wake up until dawn.

I think Mount Wai'ale'ale in Hawai'i has near non-stop rain.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
A few years ago, I would have suggested shifting to Australia's NE Tropics for the Wet Season. Sure, everything ends up wearing a velvety coat of mould and you get the occasional cyclone, but...yanno...rough with the smooth and all that. But now the weather pattern has shifted and we've had several failed Wet Seasons in a row, so it's off my recommendation list.

And it coincides with the northern winter. So scrap that.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely write better when it's raining. Here in Louisiana, it's the time of year when sunshine is about to be pretty rare--through about July. Also, it's going to be too hot to want to do much outside! So I'm hoping to get some words down.

My productivity wasn't nearly as high in March and most of April as it usually is, because the weather was so beautiful. I really believe that you have to soak some of those days up when you can.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Close all the blinds and put on a DVD of rain sounds. You won't know the difference.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
If it's guaranteed soggy climes you are after, come to unsunny S Wales. We have more rain than we know what to do with.

One summer I think we had one single afternoon without rain. The rest of the time it tipped down from morning till night.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
If it's guaranteed soggy climes you are after, come to unsunny S Wales. We have more rain than we know what to do with.

One summer I think we had one single afternoon without rain. The rest of the time it tipped down from morning till night.

UK it's rainy and, fortunately, it speaks English. I don't know, however, how to get legal residence for my mother there. Hence, if I move back to Europe, we will probably end up in Italy (more easy to get the paperwork done there, though I don't expect to land any jobs in Italy :)) or in my birthplace, Tirana, which due its geography it's cloudy also (though not like UK or North Italy).

By the way, global warming is changing a lot of places. Where I live all the old buildings are of dark color, since people expected that throughout a year here would snow a lot. This year, however, the snowing season lasted less than two months :)

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
I definitely write better when it's raining. Here in Louisiana, it's the time of year when sunshine is about to be pretty rare--through about July. Also, it's going to be too hot to want to do much outside! So I'm hoping to get some words down.

My productivity wasn't nearly as high in March and most of April as it usually is, because the weather was so beautiful. I really believe that you have to soak some of those days up when you can.

I'm glad that April has its effects on other people also, cause I started doubting on my sanity.... I was so productive when good weather came uninvited and spoiled my planing to have the play done before May :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I started writing a play in January. Everything was going great (first part finished, and I wrote the ending of the second part -there's no third part). Then I just stuck, though the play is complete in my mind. Fifty pages filled, and I just cannot write down ten more pages, in order to fill the missing parts in my play. It might sound strange, but I have the impression that the reason why I can't finish my play is called Spring or April. I think that the change of seasons affects my writing. In winters and falls I am, always, more productive than in springs and summers.

I hope you will agree with me, otherwise there's big probability that I went crazy (as Gogol did when he tried to finish his second volume of the Dead Souls) :rant: If you agree, please tell me a place in the US where is raining all the time, so I can move ASAP...

I don't think you're crazy, but I do think it might be all in your head. And I do see a danger in thinking you can only write when it's cold and stormy. I think James' suggestion is great. Get a sound machine. I got one for like $30, and it works pretty great. But it would be even better if you could prove to yourself that you also can write on a beautiful summer day.

Status
Not open for further replies.