PDA

View Full Version : Corrosive chemical with strong magnetic properties

josephperin
05-01-2016, 03:39 AM
I need something like this. When the enemy throws it at you, the only option should be to discard anything metallic that's on you.

Any thoughts?

Cyia
05-01-2016, 03:45 AM
You're going to have to make one up.

Williebee
05-01-2016, 03:49 AM
Maybe not. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_chemistry) (ETA: Or at least there is a foundation to start from.)

HOLY CARP this is cool. Thanks for bringing it up.

Cyia
05-01-2016, 03:58 AM
The chemicals aren't magnetic, I don't think. (Been a looooooooooong time, so extra large grains of salt.) They create reactions with magnetic properties. The agents themselves are fairly benign, and won't have an OMG EMPTY YOUR POCKETS!!! effect.

You can find some magnetic minerals, and magnetic rocks, but they're not often strong (like hematite, due to its iron content) And some rocks will break down in to magnetic compounds, especially with meteorite-origin rocks, but again, they're not often that strong. Strong magnetic fields require current.

IMO, your best bet would be to hand wave an element of extraterrestrial origin (meteorite) that uses the human body's bioelectricty to create a magnet.

benbenberi
05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I think it's going to have to be magic, or hand-wavy-ultra-future-sciencey to do what you want. No such thing actually exists. (Sounds sort of like a weaponized miniaturized MRI.)

This isn't a problem if you're working in an appropriate genre...

Treehouseman
05-02-2016, 07:15 AM
Yeah, an alloy of some kind kike the Marvel Comics Vibranium or Adamantium!

blacbird
05-02-2016, 08:47 AM
The most magnetic mineral I can think of is appropriately named magnetite. It is Fe3O4, I believe, is also called lodestone, and was used in primitive compasses. Hematite (Fe2O3) of the specular variety, with a metallic luster, is also magnetic, but less strongly. Very few chemical compounds have ferromagnetic properties, and only a few elements are significantly ferromagnetic (notably iron, cobalt, nickel and neodymium). Permanent magnets are made of alloys of these metals, often alloyed with aluminum (which is not magnetic) for corrosion-resistance.

So, yeah, you need to make something up. Which few SF fans would blink at, considering "dilithium" and "replicators" used on Star Trek.

caw

caw

Twick
05-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Are you looking for something that if it's thrown on you, the chemical selectively is attracted to metal, and starts attacking it? So, you're hit with a fine mist, and suddenly your watch, jewelry, etc. is covered in corrosive material?

If that's it, you'll need either magic or some sort of technobabble.

josephperin
05-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Thank you all. Rep'd you.

I meant something that is attracted to metal but attacks tissue. Essentially, the only way to escape it would be to discard anything metallic on you (including weapons and armor) very quickly, leaving you vulnerable to other sorts of attack.