PDA

View Full Version : Getting excited for no reason.

nemaara
04-30-2016, 06:55 AM
Kind of off topic, but I bought new microphones for recording, and I'm really excited since they seem to be pretty good.

Anyone else get excited about random little things?

Brightdreamer
04-30-2016, 07:58 AM
I'm still kinda thrilled about my refurbished Intuos drawing tablet. (I hope to have time this weekend to play with it and work through a few tutorial videos.)

regdog
04-30-2016, 03:24 PM
When my Loot Crate and Comic Con packages arrive. It's like Christmas as a kid all over again.

Lavern08
04-30-2016, 05:16 PM
I get excited whenever the UPS or Fed-X guy rings the doorbell - Even though I know what's in the box - Hey, it's a BOX, people!!! :snoopy:

stormie
04-30-2016, 07:42 PM
I get excited whenever the UPS or Fed-X guy rings the doorbell - Even though I know what's in the box - Hey, it's a BOX, people!!! :snoopy:
Same here! I just saw the UPS truck slowly rolling by, and I rushed to the door. (Yeah, I really am expecting a package.) This time, though, the driver headed for my neighbor's house. Heart be still.

Brightdreamer
04-30-2016, 09:07 PM

I love the Box of the Month club! Did you get Cardboard yet? It's awesome! (Wish they wouldn't throw all that crud inside when they ship it, though - it ruins the collector value when you open the box to take that stuff out.)

nemaara
04-30-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm still kinda thrilled about my refurbished Intuos drawing tablet. (I hope to have time this weekend to play with it and work through a few tutorial videos.)

What type of stuff do you draw? Care to share it? :O

Brightdreamer
04-30-2016, 09:58 PM
What type of stuff do you draw? Care to share it? :O

I haven't done much art worth the name for too long - I got the tablet to try to get me back into it, as I'm sorely missing it in my life. I used to enjoy drawing and creating - even had one of those click-and-take fantasy "adoption" sites - but I got too hung up on a lack of technical skills and a need to become "really good" so I could do something "real" with it, to the point I got discouraged. I need to get that fun back. (I don't want to lose writing to the same paralysis, much as I know my stuff needs work...)

Some of the last relics, circa 2010 and earlier (aside from camp logos):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/dreamlurker/DSG09Sptfr2j_zpsb0emueyq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/dreamlurker/HGMGrnRd1g_zpsgtq08rtj.jpg

Caitlin Black
05-01-2016, 03:39 AM
BD, I gotta say - you've got talent. :)

For me... I also get excited when I receive a package in the mail. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I finally started buying things online, so it's still a relatively new thing for me, but yeah... When I'm expecting a package, every time the dog starts barking, I rush to the front door with my heart racing, going, "Oooh, will this be it?"

It's kind of silly, really... I act as if I'm receiving a present, despite the fact that it was me who paid for it (and picked it out), and I know exactly what is coming. I guess part of it is that the timeline between paying for it and receiving it is longer than when you're shopping in a store, so you have longer to get excited about it?

buz
05-01-2016, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure if this counts as getting excited, but I am constantly overwhelmed by how frickin cute my dog is.

It never gets old.

I'm not sure how she does this. It must be a survival mechanism . . . devastating :D

nemaara
05-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Made another recording - the sound quality on my new mics is wayyy better than the old one I had. Yay! :o

P.S. I like the drawing of the birdie.

Caitlin Black
05-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Nem, I'm curious. What are you recording? I've recently started looking into recording methods for bands, though it'll be a looooong time before I can afford the right gear, let alone have developed my skills enough to put together a quality song.

nemaara
05-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Uhh, just piano songs (https://www.youtube.com/user/nemaara) (my channel!).

My knowledge about recording is limited, but I know that it's different for piano compared to most other instruments (wide tone range means you lose a lot of sound quality with less good microphones). For voices and digital instruments, you can get away with worse microphones or just directly plugging them into your computer. I believe that for drums and guitars, the microphone doesn't need to be that good either (say, ~80-100 $). If it's a band, though, you'll need several, which can get a bit expensive.

stormie
05-01-2016, 09:22 PM
It's been so cold and so damp here, seeing that glowing yellow-white ball in the sky is enough to make me go hysterical.

Maze Runner
05-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Anyone else get excited about random little things?

That's a good thing. Ever known someone who seems content? All the time? Not silly or forced happy, but effortlessly at peace? I knew someone like that once, and I asked her how she managed it. This was an old school woman who'd never given it a thought, but she kind of stammered and said, "I just, I just try to find joy in, you know, the simple things."

nemaara
05-02-2016, 03:54 AM
That's a good thing. Ever known someone who seems content? All the time? Not silly or forced happy, but effortlessly at peace? I knew someone like that once, and I asked her how she managed it. This was an old school woman who'd never given it a thought, but she kind of stammered and said, "I just, I just try to find joy in, you know, the simple things."

Ah, well unfortunately I'm not like that. But it seems like it would be nice to be like that. Very nice really...

Caitlin Black
05-03-2016, 03:00 AM
Uhh, just piano songs (https://www.youtube.com/user/nemaara) (my channel!).

My knowledge about recording is limited, but I know that it's different for piano compared to most other instruments (wide tone range means you lose a lot of sound quality with less good microphones). For voices and digital instruments, you can get away with worse microphones or just directly plugging them into your computer. I believe that for drums and guitars, the microphone doesn't need to be that good either (say, ~80-100 $). If it's a band, though, you'll need several, which can get a bit expensive.

Ah, cool. :) I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos by a sound engineer, about recording. That's how I know it'll be a looooong time before I'll be ready to record relatively high-quality songs. :tongue (For reference, I'd be looking at guitar, bass, drums, vocals and probably a bit of keyboards.) In any event, it's actually rather fascinating seeing how a professional records bands. And it's taught me certain things about music theory in general, too.

nemaara
05-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Ah, cool. :) I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos by a sound engineer, about recording. That's how I know it'll be a looooong time before I'll be ready to record relatively high-quality songs. :tongue (For reference, I'd be looking at guitar, bass, drums, vocals and probably a bit of keyboards.) In any event, it's actually rather fascinating seeing how a professional records bands. And it's taught me certain things about music theory in general, too.

Oooh. Links? Looking to improve the quality of my recordings lol.

Caitlin Black
05-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Here's a link to the SpectreSoundStudios channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-f76NUQN5M-Z0cd0MOP5xw) on YouTube. Fair warning, though: This particular sound engineer mostly records metal (I don't think he deals with keyboards very often). Also, he can be a little antagonistic, with a fair bit of swearing... That said, if you don't mind swearing, he's also incredibly knowledgeable about his job. But yeah - most of the tips I've picked up are related to recording metal (which is recorded in a somewhat different way, due to metal having lots of distortion and suchlike).

If anyone knows of any other recording engineer channels that are helpful, I'd love a link. :)