The nerve of some 17 year olds

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
A classmate of my daughter's got a speeding ticket last week. She was going 50mph in 25mph zone. For her hurry, she got herself a $250 fine.

The little twerp has put up a GoFundMe to get her friends to subsidize her crappy and extremely dangerous behavior. Now she's complaining in dripping sarcasm on Twitter how the campaign is still at $0 after four days. Gee, thanks for all the love, people. You're so generous.

I think I might set up a GoFundMe for this little sociopath to get some therapy before she blooms into the shithead she's on track to become.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Does she not have parents who'd shut that shit down?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Does she not have parents who'd shut that shit down?

I wonder if they know. I'm just speechless.

And at that speed, I don't know why she wasn't charged with reckless driving. A 25mph is generally a residential area or one of our extremely limited visibility mountain roads around here. Vaulting that by double is insane.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I got a ticket for a lot over the speed once. It was where a highway exit dumped out onto a main thoroughfare (not a residential street but like, a street with strip malls either side and stuff like the library, park, etc.).

The street had a speed limit of 30 I think (though the first sign with a speed limit on it is down the road a good way in either direction from there), and the ramp wasn't a long, winding thing. I think I was going around 45. I've since seen I can't even count how many people getting tickets in that exact spot. There are speed traps, but she's a new driver and should be extra careful even if it was.

Or it could be she was driving like a lunatic in a residential area. Just saying the speed vs. limit isn't necessarily indicative of reckless behaviour.

If I knew the parents I'd be all evil and next time I spoke to one ask how her GFM was going.

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I hope some of her peers respond on Twitter that people actually do, in real life, have to pay their own traffic tickets. And that she ought to be glad she didn't hurt anyone. And that she has a hell of a lot of nerve expecting her friends to pay for it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like Missy Thing's peers are teaching her that doesn't work that way. Nobody's contributed nor apparently cares about her Twitter whining. Ha ha.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
A classmate of my daughter's got a speeding ticket last week. She was going 50mph in 25mph zone. For her hurry, she got herself a $250 fine.

The little twerp has put up a GoFundMe to get her friends to subsidize her crappy and extremely dangerous behavior. Now she's complaining in dripping sarcasm on Twitter how the campaign is still at $0 after four days. Gee, thanks for all the love, people. You're so generous.

I think I might set up a GoFundMe for this little sociopath to get some therapy before she blooms into the shithead she's on track to become.

Preach it, sister!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I hope people continue to be "ungenerous."

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Speeding is cheap where you live! A 17 year old doing 40 km/h plus over the limit would automatically lose her license here.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I'd find out the name of her insurance agency and send them a heads up. There are bound to be more tickets with this entitled moron. --s6 ps---I live in a very small place so shenanigans like this always get around the county. Two or three people confront the parents at the local café or the post office about what their offspring is up to. Almost always the public shaming gets to even the softest brained parent. Small town: big hell, as the Mexicans say.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'd find out the name of her insurance agency and send them a heads up. There are bound to be more tickets with this entitled moron. --s6 ps---I live in a very small place so shenanigans like this always get around the county. Two or three people confront the parents at the local café or the post office about what their offspring is up to. Almost always the public shaming gets to even the softest brained parent. Small town: big hell, as the Mexicans say.

That's the problem with larger communities. No communal shaming. Too bad.

You know, I get that the kid screwed up. We all do. But the entitlement in the demand for a bailout is beyond my ken.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm honestly surprised she still has her license after a stunt like that. I know in some places, going double the speed limit is an automatic reckless endangerment charge.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Do you get to send a message when you support someone's Go Fund Me? Because I would literally be willing to give her my two cents' worth. :e2Order:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
She's not the only one doing this, by a long shot. It's amazing how many young drivers think it's sooo unfair that they got a speeding ticket just for speeding!

Pennguin

Damn it, Neil. The name is Nuwanda.
Registered
Reaction score
Going that far over the speed limit here will get you arrested on the spot for reckless endangerment, and possibly more severe charges if you're in a construction or school zone. Hopefully she'll have to pay her own ticket. If she does that enough times, maybe she can develop an immunity to "affluenza" (such BS that is).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Sadly, I've known some people who are considerably older than 17 who blame everyone but themselves when they suffer the consequences of unconscionably careless driving. I remember one spouse of a relative who was cursing the "stupid road" because he patched out on his motorcycle while going way too fast around a corner. Luckily for him, he got away with nothing more than some bad road rash, but he was angry at everyone and everything besides himself. This guy was pushing 40 at the time.

This girl young, at least, so hopefully she'll grow up before she kills someone (or herself).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK she'd have 6 points on her license for that as well as a speeding fine. 12 points on a license = banned from driving. Speeding is 3pts and a fine normally, but for people in their first year after getting their full driving license, it's double points for speeding so they get the message just how fucking dangerous it is.

It's also quite possible in the UK that she'd also get done for dangerous driving, not just for speeding, for being that far over the speed limit. The police over here are a lot stricter about speeding in 20 and 30mph speed limits than, say doing 80 on the motorway (limit is 70). You'll get a speeding ticket for doing 31mph in a 30 over here. Doing 60 in a 30 limit's (i.e. double the speed limit like she was doing) isn't going to be taken lightly.

ETA: and you know what? Her peers/classmates ought to ask HER to pay the extra money they have to pay for their car insurance premiums because it's due to idiots like her that insurance companies charge much higher premiums to younger drivers.

Last edited: