PDA

View Full Version : Printing without Publishing

Rebel Rider
04-29-2016, 01:03 AM
I've got a book that I'd thought would never see the light of day, but a few elderly friends and family want to read it. I'd like to print some copies out for friends/family, but not publish or market it. Does anyone have tips on where I could easily print a few copies out for family? I don't want the book on Amazon, or anywhere else for that matter. I just want my relatives to be able to enjoy it. Tips would be much appreciated.

cmhbob
04-29-2016, 01:35 AM
A local printer might be your best bet.

Rebel Rider
04-29-2016, 01:41 AM
I'm in Eastern Montana. I don't think there are any printers within a hundred miles.
What about the big places, like Createspace and Lulu?

cmhbob
04-29-2016, 02:04 AM
My first book was self-pubbed, and I used CreateSpace for the dead-tree edition, but I was hoping to sell a bunch of copies.

Do you want a "real, live book," with mass-market looking bindings and such, or is this more of a family history kind of thing? How long is the book?

kevinwaynewilliams
04-29-2016, 02:26 AM
You can format it for CreateSpace and order proof copies to your heart's content. It won't appear to anyone but you if you don't do the final publishing step.

Rebel Rider
04-29-2016, 02:44 AM
Thanks.
It would be a 89K science fiction story. I'd only do print, not digital. I'd like it to look something like a traditionally published book. Would I need to get an ISBN? Also, is it possible to have large print?

kevinwaynewilliams
04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Thanks.
It would be a 89K science fiction story. I'd only do print, not digital. I'd like it to look something like a traditionally published book. Would I need to get an ISBN? Also, is it possible to have large print?

No ISBN for CreateSpace if you don't want one. Print is your choice, cover is your design.

M. H. Lee
04-29-2016, 04:47 PM
I'd also do Createspace and just order proof copies. They assign a free ISBN if you don't have one. No need to ever approve for distribution.

If you format with 14 pt or 16 pt font I believe that should be large print size. You'll have to adjust the templates Createspace provides because the paragraph spacing won't work with that font size if you use one of the formatted ones.

Pennguin
04-29-2016, 04:54 PM
OfficeMax will allow you to upload your document and have it printed and shipped. They also have options for binding and the like. Just a thought in case the others don't work out.

kevinwaynewilliams
04-29-2016, 10:05 PM
OfficeMax pricing for a loose-leaf printout is about twenty times what CreateSpace will charge you for a book.

Pennguin
04-29-2016, 10:53 PM
OfficeMax pricing for a loose-leaf printout is about twenty times what CreateSpace will charge you for a book.

That's true. It's expensive. I would try other methods first.

gettingby
04-30-2016, 12:09 AM
You can look into using an Espresso Book Machine.

Try http://www.ondemandbooks.com or google Espresso book printing. It might be a good option for what you are looking to do.

blacbird
04-30-2016, 12:18 AM
You can do this fairly inexpensively via Lulu. They have an option whereby your work is available only to you, not to the public. And good quality. And you don't need to get an ISBN.

caw

Polenth
04-30-2016, 03:32 AM
CreateSpace proofs have the word "proof" in big letters on the last page, so Lulu is probably a better bet in this case.

Old Hack
04-30-2016, 11:16 AM
You can look into using an Espresso Book Machine.

Try http://www.ondemandbooks.com or google Espresso book printing. It might be a good option for what you are looking to do.

I think that with the Espresso you have to make your book available to others. I might be wrong.

kevinwaynewilliams
05-01-2016, 07:53 PM
I think that with the Espresso you have to make your book available to others. I might be wrong.
No, you can do it privately, but it's substantially more expensive than CreateSpace.

Rebel Rider
05-05-2016, 08:00 PM
What's the best font to go with for a printed book?

Zombie Fraggle
05-06-2016, 02:48 AM
What's the best font to go with for a printed book?

That's a matter of taste and a whole lot of complicated typesetting issues like kerning that you probably won't want to bother learning for a hobby project.

But, generally speaking, you want a serif font (not a sans serif font, such as Arial) that's easy on the eyes. One of my favorites is Georgia. Other common options are Garamond and Book Antiqua.

I personally prefer Georgia over Book Antiqua because the latter leaves the illusion of spaces before and after em dashes. My beef with Garamond is its ampersand, which looks like I-don't-even-know-what when italicized ( & ).

Old Hack
05-06-2016, 10:14 AM
You could look at books you have, that you like, and see what fonts they're in.

Remember that many fonts are only licensed to you for personal use. If you are going to use them for commercial purposes you have to pay to do so, or risk receiving an invoice you cannot legally contest after you've sold a few books.

kevinwaynewilliams
05-08-2016, 10:44 AM
My favorites (and guaranteed free) are Goudy Bookletter 1911, Sorts Mill Goudy, and Fanwood. https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/