PDA

View Full Version : Question about agents contacting editors

tony6781
04-28-2016, 10:13 PM
If an agent likes a book in its current form, do they ever send it out to editors who they know to have a look,
to see if they would be interested, and then get back to you telling you they have editors who would be interested
in making offers. Or do the agents always get back to you first before sending the novel to any editor/publishing house?

Also, does any of the above change when your novel goes to a major agency, or to a small, newer agency?

Thanks,

mayqueen
04-28-2016, 10:51 PM
If you don't have a contract with an agent, then an agent sending your manuscript around to editors with or without telling you is a huge, huge red flag. If you do have a contract with an agent who is sending you manuscript around without your knowledge or your approval, that's also a red flag. If you have a contract etc and the agent is sending the manuscript around just to see if it will need revisions, that's also a red flag.

However, if you sign with an agent and they feel that your manuscript can go out without revisions, that's fine.

Laurel
04-29-2016, 12:31 AM
I agree with mayqueen. An agent might sub a book without doing edits, depending on the book and the agent. There needs to be an agreement between the agent and the author first, though, and probably a contract, too. I'd be furious if an agent started subbing based only on a query or even a full request. Many authors get multiple offers of representation and need to be able to choose the best match.

andadu27101
05-01-2016, 08:48 PM
My agent, former editor for major publishers, commented on how clean the story was, but still suggested changes. After he subbed to a few, he came back asking for a few character development paragraphs. I don’t know about agents just sending mns out without making/suggesting changes. I agree, it would be a BIG red flag.

Treehouseman
05-02-2016, 07:10 AM
If an agent likes a book in its current form, do they ever send it out to editors who they know to have a look,
to see if they would be interested, and then get back to you telling you they have editors who would be interested
in making offers. Or do the agents always get back to you first before sending the novel to any editor/publishing house?

Also, does any of the above change when your novel goes to a major agency, or to a small, newer agency?

Thanks,

Sounds like a Scam Agency.

They have a thing where a writer will send a MS to them, and they come back with a "Your MS is so brilliant that editors want it NOW!"

BUT.... (oh yes, a BUT!)

They need cash! Money! Money to edit but you gotta be quick quick because ANY MINUTE NOW those editors are gonna pull the plug! So quick, send your $600, $2000, $45000 to them RIGHT NOW. Don't miss out! Get out your wallet...

...and yeah. You know where that goes.

Cyia
05-02-2016, 07:17 AM
There was actually a very established agent who did this at least once (according to a former poster on this board), and as soon as it was mentioned, everyone chimed in with how weird, unprofessional, potentially damaging it was. I won't put the name on here publicly, though the thread I'm referencing is in Bewares.

It's not a good practice, whether the agent is legit or not. One, there's no contract to protect anyone involved. Two, the agent is doing work for which they may or may not be paid. (If the writer signs with someone else, then their agent subs to the same editor who snaps up the piece, that's just awkward.) Three, the agent is burning bridges that may be later strengthened by edits another agent might suggest.

You should absolutely have a contract in place with the agent who's representing you and your work, and that agent should let you know which editors are reading your work. If they're willing to cut corners now, what makes you think that their behavior will be any more professional later?