Did I just screw up?

CL Polk

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This is complicated but I will try to explain.

In February, I queried Agent A. Just a query letter, nothing else. In mid march, I received a request for a partial MS, which I sent immediately.

Three days later, I participated in a twitter pitch contest, got a <3, and sent a query to Agent B. Agent B wrote the next day, asking for the full manuscript.

Yesterday, Agent A wrote to request the full manuscript. I sent it.

Today, Author friend said offhandedly, "wait to send out any more queries, because agents want to hold the full exclusively." (Author friend got her agent over ten years ago, and has been steadily publishing ever since.)

Did I just screw up? What do I do?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Nope, you're fine. Multiple fulls out is totally common. Unless they specifically ask for an exclusive, it's better for you to get your novel into as many hands as possible. You've seen how long this sort of thing can take, if you've had your fulls and queries out since February. If you waited for every full to come back before sending out another, it could take years to find your one agent. If either agent comes back with an offer, you let everyone who has a partial or full that you have an offer and give them some time, like a week, to decide if they want to make their own offer or to pass. This is completely normal these days. Basically, keep querying, keep sending fulls as requested, and don't worry about it. :)

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You didn't screw up. If an agent doesn't ask for an exclusive, you don't ever have to act as if they have one.

What you do have to do, if you get an offer of rep, is contact all other agents who have requested material and give them the option to offer. Usually the deadline for this is one week. Sometimes two if you have a bunch of fulls out.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Exclusivity, these days, is generally granted by request and reluctantly. So don't sweat it. You're golden. And best of luck, too!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, and if one of them makes an offer, be sure to let the other one know and give them a little bit of time to consider the manuscript before you deliver your decision, even if you already know that you'll be picking the first responder. It's professional courtesy and the first offering agent won't get bent out of shape at all if you ask for a few days before "making a decision".

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
No. Unless an agent says "I want an exclusive," they are not expecting to be the only one looking at your MS in any form (partial or full).

Just to be clear, it's never in your best interest to give an agent an exclusive because you don't want your work tied up with just one person during the querying process. (Even if they are your most favorite agent ever.) If an agent does ask for an exclusive and you don't already have the MS out with someone else, you can give them a specific window in which they are the only ones looking at it. (FREX: "I can give an exclusive for two weeks, after which other agents may request pages.") You are also perfectly within your rights to tell them you can't grant an exclusive because someone else is already looking at it or because you have other queries out and don't want to leave anyone else waiting if they want to see the MS.

There are a few agents who will not look at a MS unless they are the only ones. (I had one lady request the full, but when I told her I couldn't give her an exclusive because other agents already were looking at it, she told me she would wait. If everyone else passed to let her know and she would read it then. But she didn't want any pressure from competing offers.) However, you should never feel pressured to not show your work to other agents. An agent who doesn't want to compete for your project is not likely to best represent it. (Whether they simply aren't interested enough to put it at the top of the pile or they just want to be the only one offering on it.)

So, no. You haven't screwed anything up. (Also, as a side note. Sometimes agents will ask who else is looking at a MS. It's okay to say who else has your work in that instance. I usually didn't say anything unless they asked, but if they did ask, I was specific - that way they had a way to check and make certain I wasn't just pretending I had interest from third parties.)

Best of luck!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's only an issue if they're both at the same agency.