• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for Contemporary YA (Lesbians + Drama Kids + Disability, What's Not to Love?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseyBlair

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chelseyblair.com
I'm looking for betas for a fairly early draft of my latest MS CALL BACK. It's the perfect read for anyone who is tired of lesbians being put into media only to be killed off at the most opportune moment for the show's ratings, or who would like to see a couple of kids with disabilities do something other than inspire the able-bodied people around them.

Lesbians! Intercepted text messages! A bubbly, blonde girl with a tendency to be way to invested in television shows! What more could anyone want?

A VERY early query draft can be found here

A longer summary: Seventeen-year-old Jem Wexler is a theater kid who wants nothing more than to land the role of Anne Frank in the school's spring production, and Felicia, who is home-schooled and contacts Jem to learn how to start a Safe Space group at the high school. Felicia's sister, Lauren, is transgender, and despite being unable to attend a typical high school due to her fibromyalgia, Felicia is deeply invested in making sure that there will be somewhere for now-middle-schooler Lauren to feel accepted once she enrolls. Jem, who keeps a chip on her shoulder to keep anyone from suggesting that her spina bifida could affect her chances at becoming an actress, isn't sure that a social justice club is going to fly at her school, but Felicia's pragmatic optimism draws her in. The girls soon come to understand each other in ways no one else ever has. Soon, Felicia is as invested in Jem's chances of becoming Anne as any one else in the drama department. And Jem? She's busy trying to figure out how to convince this bubbly, funny, brilliant girl that being beholden to pain and fatigue doesn't have to keep her from putting that mind toward carving her own path to success.

sierrawrites13

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this sounds right up my alley! I'd be interested in beta reading this. If you're open to a swap, I'm working on a novel that deals with a few of the same themes.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for betas for a fairly early draft of my latest MS CALL BACK. It's the perfect read for anyone who is tired of lesbians being put into media only to be killed off at the most opportune moment for the show's ratings, or who would like to see a couple of kids with disabilities do something other than inspire the able-bodied people around them.

Lesbians! Intercepted text messages! A bubbly, blonde girl with a tendency to be way to invested in television shows! What more could anyone want?

A VERY early query draft can be found here

A longer summary: Seventeen-year-old Jem Wexler is a theater kid who wants nothing more than to land the role of Anne Frank in the school's spring production, and Felicia, who is home-schooled and contacts Jem to learn how to start a Safe Space group at the high school. Felicia's sister, Lauren, is transgender, and despite being unable to attend a typical high school due to her fibromyalgia, Felicia is deeply invested in making sure that there will be somewhere for now-middle-schooler Lauren to feel accepted once she enrolls. Jem, who keeps a chip on her shoulder to keep anyone from suggesting that her spina bifida could affect her chances at becoming an actress, isn't sure that a social justice club is going to fly at her school, but Felicia's pragmatic optimism draws her in. The girls soon come to understand each other in ways no one else ever has. Soon, Felicia is as invested in Jem's chances of becoming Anne as any one else in the drama department. And Jem? She's busy trying to figure out how to convince this bubbly, funny, brilliant girl that being beholden to pain and fatigue doesn't have to keep her from putting that mind toward carving her own path to success.
Very interested, I PM'd you...

LDParker

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested if you'd be up to take a look at part of my novel. I need help with the first part (about 55K). maybe you can provide some thoughts and I can assit you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.