• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Meerkat Press

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't find a thread for this publisher: Meerkat Press.

Some nice covers, but most of what they've published to date seem to be anthologies, although they've got a spec fic novel coming out in 2017. Anyone have any other info?

KAMielke

I'm clever, really.
Registered
Reaction score
I too would like some more info on them, though I've sent my manuscript along to them anyhow.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Still poking, but so far:

Tricia Reeks, Editor-in-Chief and also registrant for their website. Listed as "Patricia Reeks" on their corporations filing paperwork. Business was registered January 20th, 2015, so just over a year old. Back to Ms. Reeks: I don't have an account with LinkedIn, but the public info I can see on her lists her skills as all tech-related (Microsoft SQL server, Visio, Enterprise software, etc.). That can be seen here - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tricia-reeks-bab0571 I don't see any editing/publishing experience, but, perhaps, that's buried in the information I don't have access to.

I'm still unsuccessfully poking on Kyle Richardson and Margaret Reeks, though I shall continue to poke ever onward. Bernadette Geyer, though... She lists herself as a "Writer, Editor, Translator" on her page here - http://www.bernadettegeyer.com Her page here - https://geyereditorial.com advertises her editing services, including workshops, copy editing and writing and something she refers to as a "deck check"--checking over PowerPoint slides for small businesses and start-ups. Both she and her business(es) are based in Berlin, Germany.

I'll pop in if I find anything more.

KAMielke

I'm clever, really.
Registered
Reaction score
The author of the novel coming out in 2017 is representing by the same agency as Rainbow Rowell. Unsure if this is something significant.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
They've published Jeff Vandermeer in one of their anthologies afaik. My experience re a short story for the same anthology was fine. Polite, professional (a rejection) and timely.

I did look at the 'meer' in Vandermeer every so often...but no idea if he or his spouse are involved...

eta at the time my spidey sense felt this was a potential major player down the road. That sense hasn't changed so far...

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just turned down an offer to publish my fantasy series with them. While the contract included an advance, they were unwilling to negotiate each book in the series separately (even with right-of-first-refusal language). Since they have yet to publish a novel and hence, have no track record, I was reluctant to make that kind of commitment for my four-book series.

In addition, while the percentage they offered was more than fair, they deduct their printing costs up front before paying out royalties. Even if I were willing to consider a publisher that pays on net profit rather than net revenue, the estimated costs of printing provided by Meerkat were, in my opinion, too high to be sufficiently offset by the advance.

I wish the folks at Meerkat well. Their anthology covers are quite nice, and I was impressed by their ambition and drive. They just weren't a good fit for me. Maybe they will be for someone else.

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info :) Would they have been a good option for a single book rather than a series, or did it look like the royalties would be too low?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info :) Would they have been a good option for a single book rather than a series, or did it look like the royalties would be too low?

That's a judgment call. The advance and the royalty split were generous, but I was uncomfortable signing a contract that allowed the publisher to deduct an unspecified amount from those royalties.

Last edited:

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again. I have a submission out with them, so I guess it's something to look out for in the unlikely event of an offer.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you - if not with Meerkat, then elsewhere.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
If they're deducting the printing costs from your royalties, basically that means you're paying to be printed - aka a stealth vanity press. That in and of itself would put it in the "do not approach" category.

In other words, if you're paying for it, why are you sharing royalties with them? What are they doing for you that you can't do for yourself?

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, mrsmig
Is that so unusual for small presses? I thought the real problem is if the expenses they're going to deduct are too vaguely defined

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, mrsmig
Is that so unusual for small presses? I thought the real problem is if the expenses they're going to deduct are too vaguely defined

In my experience, it's rare.

A lot of small presses pay "on net" but they define net as everything they receive from the retailers, not their net profit. So if a book sells on Amazon for $10 and the publisher gets 70% of that, you'd get your royalties based on $7, not on cover price. If these guys are deducting printing costs, you'd get your royalties based on $7 minus whatever it cost to print it. Doesn't sound good to me.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any time the word "net" appears in a publisher's royalty clause, you MUST get a clear definition of that term and all its parameters. Some publishers compute royalties based on a flat percentage of the cover price, no more. Some compute on their "net revenue" - the actual monies they receive from the vendors (less discounts, etc.). And some compute on "net profits," meaning they will deduct some/all of their production expenses (printing, cover design, fees to editors, etc.) from your percentage. Any business model that determines royalty payout based on net profit is one to be wary of, particularly if the expenses being deducted are not stated clearly in the contract.