PDA

View Full Version : TURN: washington's spies on AMC

bombergirl69
04-26-2016, 12:48 AM
I just want to note that this show, now in its third season, is back tonight at 10pm EST on AMC. It's a period piece, all about Washington's spies, specifically the spy ring around Long Island and NYC. Familiar folk are there - The man himself, Benedict Arnold, Ben Tallmadge, and actual spies - Abe Woodhull, Anna Strong, Robert Townsend. Also the Brits, notably very ably case Major John Andre (JJ Fields.) This season will likely include his capture/hanging over the Arnold betrayal.

They are a little loose with the facts, but are pretty much on. Lots of real characters (John Graves Simcoe, a real life British officer who went on to be governor of Ontario, I think, who is portrayed here as a blood thirsty mad man which I do not believe he was - old as I am I'd remember that! ;) )

Anyway, not everyone's cup of tea ( ;) ) but sort of addicting if one likes those kind of things. Past seasons are on Netflix.

James D. Macdonald
04-26-2016, 01:33 AM
I came to this show from looking for a recording of O Bold Turpin Hero. The use of music in the show is outstanding.

They are a little loose with the facts, but are pretty much on. Lots of real characters (John Graves Simcoe, a real life British officer who went on to be governor of Ontario, I think, who is portrayed here as a blood thirsty mad man which I do not believe he was - old as I am I'd remember that! ;) )

The historical Simcoe was an effective and efficient officer. Later on, as governor, he became the first person in the English-speaking world to outlaw slavery. Another who fares badly is Major Robert Rogers who, historically, was born in Massachusetts and grew up and joined the British army in New Hampshire, rather than being the bizarre Scots Highlander as which he's portrayed.

bombergirl69
04-26-2016, 02:08 AM
Yes about rogers--not sure what the thinking was there!! And there is even mention among two slaves about going to Canada (where simcoe was very opposed to slavery) as someone who lives that time period, I hope it gets people interested enough to look stuff up. Ian Kahn (Washington), JJ fields (Andre) ksenia solo (Peggy shippen) and the Welsh guy owain something (Arnold) are outstanding. And the music, Timi g and cuts, is brilliant. Live the opening theme in particular!

angeliz2k
04-26-2016, 02:40 AM
I enjoy it mostly, but it is a bit uneven, in my opinion. I agree that Ian Kahn as Washington is wonderful. Our main character, Abe, played by Jamie Bell, is a bit of a wet blanket, to be honest. But I like the various stories they're telling and I like that it isn't a story we hear that often: the civilian side of the war, the secrets going on behind the scenes. Yeah, we have some of the big names, but we also have some less-known figures in there.

bombergirl69
04-26-2016, 05:47 AM
totally agree; Jamie is my least favorite character. I think it's him because the actual person, Abe Woodhull, seems like he would be compelling enough. But his is my least favorite story line

angeliz2k
05-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Just caught up with episode 2 of the new season. Good stuff. It's kind of fun having Robert Rogers hanging over Abe's shoulder. The butting of heads is entertaining. That and Abe's being found out by Hewlett has really given Abe some life. He's already more of a character in these two episodes than he was most the first two seasons. Hewlett accuses him of killing a man in cold blood, and he replies, "Luke-warm." And he doesn't equivocate or think twice. He's gotten pretty ruthless. Which I like.