Don't take me out to the ballgame

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
A few days ago, there was a signup sheet on the bulletin board at work :

July social event : Blue Jays Game on Sunday!

Tickets are $25 - $30.

As I was reading this, a coworker asked if I was going. I said that the way I remembered what the Blue Jays were was to picture a bunch of birds. Obviously those small birds wouldn't be able to lift a large ball, so the Blue Jays had to be a baseball team. Now I imagined velociraptors would be pretty good at jumping, what with those long muscular hind legs, so the Raptors had to be a basketball team.

My coworker blinked. "That seems like a lot of effort to remember what the teams are," he said.

"Exactly," I replied, "which is why I won't be there."

I've never watched a ball game in my life, unless you count the one on The Simpsons where Mr. Burns hires a bunch of professionals to play for the nuclear power plant so he can beat Shelbyville. In any case, not many people from work were going. But another coworker - we'll call her Pushy - asked if I was signing up.

Me : No. I'm not really into sports.
Pushy : I'm not either, but I'm going. You should come!
Me : ...uh, why? I won't understand anything about the game.
Pushy : Neither will I, but it'll be fun!
Me (confused now) : How will it be fun when I don't know what's going on? I'll just be sitting there saying, "What's happening? Why is that man running off? Why is everyone cheering? Why didn't I bring a book?"
Pushy : It's not just about the game. The stadium will be packed, so everyone will sing along when there's a song, and the camera will pan around, so when it's on you, you can wave or make a face.

That sounded worse than what I'd imagined. I don't want to be in the midst of a huge crowd of singing people, nor do I want to be on camera unless I've checked my appearance beforehand.

Me : I wouldn't enjoy any of that.
Pushy : How can you just say to people, "I don't like that"?

I was confused all over again. I'm not the most socially savvy person, so now I was wondering if I'd overstepped some sort of etiquette line.

Most of all, though, I had no idea why we were debating this at all. Pushy may well enjoy ball games despite not understanding them, but why is she assuming this will apply to me too?

Me : Look, the tickets could cost up to $30. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a ticket to the aquarium. I like sharks.
Pushy : You could go to both places!
Me : What if I only have $30 in my entertainment budget to spend? Not to mention limited time on the weekends. I want to do something I know I'd enjoy.
Pushy : ...Okay, fine. But think about it. You've got to try different things.

I hadn't realized how frustrating it is to deal with someone who refuses to take no for an answer. If there's any next time, I won't give her any kind of explanations for my decision (not that I owe her any). It'll just be "no", and then I'll change the subject.

Even better? Yesterday Pushy told me she wasn't going either. Because the game is on a Sunday and that's when her church service is held.

I ran off before she could badger me to come to church with her.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. That's terrible. I think you need to carry a potato chip bag clip in your purse so next time she starts it, you can just clip her mouth shut. :)

Pennguin

Damn it, Neil. The name is Nuwanda.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't play well with the "Pushies" of the world. I don't like being strong-armed into anything. I have enough social anxiety as it is, and mine is considered to be well-managed. I've had a lady in my apartment building who tries to get me to spend time with her.

I'm thirty-one. She's in her late fifties, and that aside, she doesn't bathe. Never mind that she's trying to force a romantic relationship (which is definitely not okay). She's trying to force social interaction when she's just...filthy. Whenever she sees me, she tries to give me a hug, or pat my shoulder, what have you. I've had to shut her down a few times, somewhat harshly. I don't like doing that, but it's that kind of human interaction that ruins my progress in managing my anxiety.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
It's like that here with football. It's like a mental illness and the media stirs up a frenzy every year. Growing up here indifferent to the so called beautiful game is met with fear and contempt. I hate it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've always lived in places where sports mania was something you could take or leave. We have a basketball team here in Sacramento, and some people like them, but no one takes it personally if you shrug and say, "I don't follow basketball."

I've enjoyed the occasional baseball game over the years, but I've never felt a lot of pressure to be a huge fan of any team. The only exception was when there was the "Earthquake" series all those years ago when the Giants and the As both went. Then everyone I knew suddenly became a huge baseball fan and flew their colors, so to speak. A suspiciously large number of passionate As fans crawled out of the woodwork where I'd never seen them before (the As were favored, and indeed they trounced the poor, injured giants).

I'm with Marian. If I'm going to drive down to the bay area (the nearest place with a pro baseball team), I'd rather go to Steinhart Aquarium and see sharks and adorable penguins.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I've always lived in places where sports mania was something you could take or leave. We have a basketball team here in Sacramento, and some people like them, but no one takes it personally if you shrug and say, "I don't follow basketball."

And Pushy isn't even a big sports fan, so I didn't understand her insistence that I go.

The only time I might pay $30 and spend hours watching something I don't understand is if everyone from my workplace would be at the game, or if I had a significant other who loved ball games and really wanted my company at one or two of those. Then there's a reason for going, to build relationships. But now? Even church would be preferable, because it wouldn't cost as much.

I'm with Marian. If I'm going to drive down to the bay area (the nearest place with a pro baseball team), I'd rather go to Steinhart Aquarium and see sharks and adorable penguins.

Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto has a Sharks After Dark exhibit. I'm trying to decide whether I should see that or go to a winery. Maybe I'll do both, ha. :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And I don't get why seeing a game is the Works Outing as it seems most people don't want to go. Bit unfair really.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the Pushies of the world either. I no longer explain myself to them. If I say no to something and they continue to push I just nicely say "I've already said no and that's final." It might be a little rude but not nearly as rude as their badgering.

As for sports, HATE THEM. I come from a football obsessed family, from a football obsessed city. I forced myself to watch and learn sports to fit in. I gave that up years ago when I just finally said to myself I'm miserable and I hate this shit. Now I happily embrace my nerdself and hobbies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
And I don't get why seeing a game is the Works Outing as it seems most people don't want to go. Bit unfair really.

The ball game was suggested by a day shift supervisor. I work the night shift, and most of the people on that shift sleep during the day, even on the weekends. Even when my coworkers held a pot luck party for Christmas, it happened at night, during our lunch break.

The day shift supervisor also lives close to the stadium, because she mentioned to me that she bikes over to see dozens of games. But for a lot of us, the trip would require more of an effort. And since my commute to work takes an hour and a half, the thought of more travel on the weekend just makes me tired.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I have agreed to accompany my husband to his companies 'outings' which have included a few minor league baseball games. Being the wonderfully supportive wife I am, (giggle, look down at floor), I went. Sometimes we do things for family. Sometimes, family does things for us, like go see the Sleeping Beauty Ballet when it comes to town.

Though I never grew to like the game or understand it, I discovered two things:
1. Sitting there is kinda like a picnic. You eat a little, you chat a little, you drink a little.
2. Baseball pants. They almost make the drive worth it.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Unless scrabble is considered a sport, I don't do them. I don't play them and I'd rather stick a pin in my eye than watch them. I also don't do crowds (all that inadvertent body touching, the sight and smells of food being consumed and all that noise *screeaaammmmm!*). Concerts and sporting events are a special level of torture to me, combine either with people I don't know that well (and don't want to know that well) and being miles away from the nearest bathroom, it's not only "no," but "HELL NO!!!"

I used to try to be polite about it and make excuses, but now I just smile cheerfully and say, "I won't be going, but you have fun!"

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I dislike the Pushies of the world as well.

I don't usually go out to watch sports, either, unless it's to watch a friend or relative play, or if someone I like invites me to go watch together.

However, I have relatives and friends who have disabilities and who are involved in playing in various Special Olympics sports, so I would sometimes go to watch (and help out in some way at) Special Olympics events. :)

Pennguin

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind watching the occasional (American) football game, though I don't really understand it. I'd rather spend my time at a museum, library, or cafe, though. Some "unusual" sports are interesting, like martial arts, but you'll never see me sit through a soccer game or willingly watch hockey. I especially abhor hockey.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And Pushy isn't even a big sports fan, so I didn't understand her insistence that I go.

The only time I might pay $30 and spend hours watching something I don't understand is if everyone from my workplace would be at the game, or if I had a significant other who loved ball games and really wanted my company at one or two of those. Then there's a reason for going, to build relationships. But now? Even church would be preferable, because it wouldn't cost as much.

Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto has a Sharks After Dark exhibit. I'm trying to decide whether I should see that or go to a winery. Maybe I'll do both, ha. :)

Maybe that's why she wanted you to go - solidarity in the 'we're here to have fun but don't understand or watch baseball' camp she felt a part of. I hate baseball, and sitting at a baseball game sucks. That said, I think you should do it if the option is aquarium! :)

I don't mind watching the occasional (American) football game, though I don't really understand it. I'd rather spend my time at a museum, library, or cafe, though. Some "unusual" sports are interesting, like martial arts, but you'll never see me sit through a soccer game or willingly watch hockey. I especially abhor hockey.

Hockey is the best sport, but given your location, I'd understand the hate. :ROFL:

Pennguin

Registered
Reaction score
Hockey is the best sport, but given your location, I'd understand the hate. :ROFL:

I hate hockey because of the adolescent BS. Grown men acting like twelve-year old children, beating each other up instead of playing the game. It's absolutely asinine, in my opinion. And people watch it for the violence, which boggles my mind. I have a hard enough time watching boxing matches, but at least there, the point is to hit each other, and they're typically more professional in their attitude, depending on the specific kind of boxing and the themes associated with it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I greatly admired the way Mr. Maryn's company handled outings. Yes, there were baseball games. (We have a Triple-A team locally, and the best seats are something like $12.) There were trips to art and science museums. There were large picnics with activities for kids. There was sledding or sitting by the fire in the lodge playing cards or board games. There was the zoo at twilight, when it's poorly attended. There were "fun" bar-restaurants with arcade games. Broadway-style shows. Whoever did the organizing did an exceptional job of finding a broad range of activities, some family oriented, some for just the employees, some better for couples or fine to bring a date or a friend.

And it was really obvious when whoever used to do that stopped. Suddenly it was all sports, many of them expensive (drive an hour, pay $70 per seat for football) and bars. We stopped going to anything.

Mr. Maryn and I are both quite reserved and long ago learned to say "no" without explanation to the Pushies of the world. (We didn't even urge them to have fun. Not nice people, huh?)

Maryn, who will go to baseball games happily enough

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate hockey because of the adolescent BS. Grown men acting like twelve-year old children, beating each other up instead of playing the game. It's absolutely asinine, in my opinion. And people watch it for the violence, which boggles my mind. I have a hard enough time watching boxing matches, but at least there, the point is to hit each other, and they're typically more professional in their attitude, depending on the specific kind of boxing and the themes associated with it.

But... hockey is the only sport I watch because I like to watch them hit each other and get sent to time out. *slinks away*

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
You know, baseball really is about the most boring game to watch after golf, but it is fun to go to a baseball game. Do you ever go to the park and do nothing but watch the blue jays? Well, you can go to the ballpark and watch the Blue Jays. It's the same. Nice sunny day, grassy field.

Granted, the park costs thirty dollars less.

The real point is just to do something with other people. Baseball is just the most inoffensive activity, that won't turn off anyone who might have wanted to hang out but is turned off by the activity. I wonder what your more annoyed to be pushed into, baseball or social interaction.

I think Pushy was probably trying to be helpful. Some people are shy about getting into social situations but really want to be included, and need a little push. Other people would just rather not.

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
I do like sports, and I love baseball, but I hate company outings. And I hate pushy people. At my last office job we had these outings to bars and such, and I always had to go even though I was low on the company hierarchy and never had fun. I'd put in as minimal appearance as I could get away with, and then go home. And I was so resentful that the company was spending money on this, rather than just giving me a bigger bonus, which I really could have used.

As for Pushy, maybe by trying to convince you she was actually trying to convince herself. Maybe she only wished she had the courage to opt-out the way you did. When it comes to people like that I usually turn the tables and say, "What's it to you?" Like, why do you care so much? If I don't go, will it break your heart? Or even just a simple, "I just don't want to go, OK?" That usually shuts them up. Back when I was pregnant with my first kid, a friend of my dad's asked, "So when are you going to have another one?" and I answered, "What, are you marking your calendar? I'm still working on the first one."

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
The real point is just to do something with other people. Baseball is just the most inoffensive activity, that won't turn off anyone who might have wanted to hang out but is turned off by the activity. I wonder what your more annoyed to be pushed into, baseball or social interaction.

If it was a matter of seeing a game in a park near my home, and hanging out with people I know for an hour or two, I'd do it. I don't have any problem with social interaction.

But this game required $30 and travel to a stadium, plus hardly any of the people from my shift going. So what's the point? Plus, large and extremely noisy crowds tend to give me a headache. I'm just hard-pressed to find the fun in this scenario.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But this game required $30 and travel to a stadium, plus hardly any of the people from my shift going. So what's the point? Plus, large and extremely noisy crowds tend to give me a headache. I'm just hard-pressed to find the fun in this scenario.

No. Just, no.

Maybe it's a benefit of being old enough to remember dinosaurs, but I have no problem at all looking someone in the eyes and saying, "No, sorry. Not interested."

I'm not a rude person by default (at least, I hope not. Jeez.) but if someone starts giving me the gears, I'm quite willing to call them on their behavior. No one has a right to lay an obligation like that on you, out of the blue. No.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'd rather spend my time at a museum, library, or cafe, though. Some "unusual" sports are interesting, like martial arts

I had a friend who was really into MMA and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, so I watched some of that with him. Though after a while it became kind of dull, and when some guy's tooth got knocked out, I'd had enough.

I like figure skating and women's gymnastics, where I can (sort of) understand what's happening. The athletes' flexibility and grace are breathtaking, and the costumes in figure skating are a treat all their own. But those are the only sports I'll willingly pay money to see. Like you, I'd rather go to a museum or library otherwise.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Beating each other up is part of the game; it's a full-contact, fast-moving sport.

The drive to eliminate fighting has not ended well. Fighting in hockey had a point, and trying to eliminate it did the game more harm than good - besides removing the potential joy in watching Tie Domi beat the ever living snot out of someone a foot taller than he. :)