View Full Version : How long can you keep an agent waiting after they ask for a full?

Pisco Sour
04-23-2016, 09:58 AM
My, all of a sudden I have another agent interested in my ms, this last one has replied as a result of twitter pitching event, #DVpit, 4 days ago. She's now read my pages and wants the full. I didn't think I'd get a request so quickly, since her agency says it takes between 4 and 8 weeks to read pages, so I packed up my Mac, where I have the super-duper shiny ms stored. We are moving this weekend and it's in a box on the removal van, in another town. I should be able to unpack it in about 4 days, once we've crossed country and completed our move. (Yes, I am kicking myself for thinking these things always take a lot of time, so I was safe to pack up). So, will waiting seven or eight days or so to respond with full ms be okay? I've considered writing to her to let her know about the move, but my hubs thinks agents will have loads of ms to read, so she won't mind if mine doesn't arrive immediately. I do have another version of the ms on my laptop, but it's not as polished as the one on my Mac, and I do so want to send my bestest!

How long can I keep an agent waiting after they ask for a full? Will it ruin my chances if there's a small delay?

Advice welcome

04-23-2016, 10:42 AM
I'd wait four days and send her the most polished one you have. Four days isn't that long to wait. Someone could ostensibly be away from their e-mail that long for all kinds of reasons. If you're concerned, you could dash her a quick reply explaining the situation and assuring her that the manuscript will be forthcoming in four days.

04-23-2016, 10:46 AM
A week or so is no issue. Hell, I've still got partials coming in that I requested (intern, not agent here) four months ago. I wouldn't push it that far, though.

Old Hack
04-23-2016, 10:48 AM
You can safely wait a week or ten days. Send her your best work. It will be fine.

04-23-2016, 07:02 PM
If it's packed up in a moving truck, it's packed up. I'd just send a quick reply to her original email, state the situation and say you'll send her the full just as soon as you have your hands on it. Life happens. Agents get this. And then when you send the full, reply and attach the file to the same email, that way there's a record as to why you didn't return it immediately.

Pisco Sour
04-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Thank you all so much for responding! Just back from yet more rushing around re new house. Relieved to read this thread as I have been fretting all day! I don't want to blow it because it's not the right ms. And I'm going to think positive here, and think that any good agent won't blacklist me because I didn't immediately hit 'send'!

Thanks again!