Drug Testing

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Not testing the patient, but testing the drug. Is it what it's labeled as?

Antagonist is a pharmacist trying to poison the MC. MC suspects. Where does she take the remaining prescription to have it analyzed? I realize that means an organic chemist, but are there commercial places one can send a sample to have analyzed? Maybe I'm just putting the wrong words in my google search but I'm not finding any. It's set a few years ago so if there are no places available, I'll have to risk going over word count.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a local pharmacy that can mix drugs, formulate, et cetera. It's not a chain, but a local company. If they didn't have the ability to test it themselves, they'd send it to whoever can do the test. Various labs do this sort of testing. It's not unusual for defense attorneys, in prescription drugs cases, to send the drugs out for testing. The police figure if it looks like whatever, it must be. Problem is there's a lot of knock offs being made, both on a national and an international level. Some of those drugs from "Canadian" pharmacies aren't.

Jim Clark-Dawe

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many major universities, particularly those with pharmacology or veterinary pharmacology research programs should have analytical equipment (gas and liquid chromatographs, for example) that can test it. Whatever state body that regulates horse and dog racing should be able to tell you who they use to test for doping. Most states also have an office of the state chemist that can contract to analyze samples. Any currently available medication and nearly all the street drugs will be readily analyzable by these folks.

ETA: I reread your post and I wanted to clarify. Any of the labs I mentioned above should be able to test the pills, but at the state level there should be an ISO accredited lab to conduct quality control for regulatory purposes.There are also professional analysis labs. For pesticides, I've used ABC Labs in Columbia, Missouri, Eurofins (in Germany but they have labs everywhere) and I'm sure the western New York City and Raleigh-Durham, NC areas are crawling contract labs.The state health officials should be able to tell your character where these labs are and how to contact them. When I've had pesticides analyzed, it came to anywhere from $75 to $300 per sample. For a single sample, a friend of a friend of a friend might get one of the university folks to do her a favor for free.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is very important. She will need to have some idea what he's adding to the pills. Arsenic analysis is very different than for strychnine, for example. Calling up a lab and just saying "tell me what's in this" won't work. A lab can't analyze for something it doesn't know to look for.