Kindly Judge Rules Norway Is Too Mean to Mass Murderer of 77 People

How Bad Do You Feel for Poor Anders Breivik?

• Really Bad: Set Him Free and Apologize Immediately!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sorta Bad: At Least Give the Guy a Blu-Ray Player

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not Too Bad: 21 Years for 77 Dead People? Yeah, That's Fair.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Not Bad At All: Deport Him to Texas!

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can't make this stuff up folks.

OSLO — Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian extremist who killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, lives in conditions that would seem luxurious by American incarceration standards: a three-room suite with windows that includes a treadmill, a fridge, a television with DVD player and even a Sony PlayStation.

But on Wednesday, a Norwegian court found that the government had violated his human rights, concluding that his long-term solitary confinement posed a threat to his mental health. Mr. Breivik has virtually no contact with other inmates and is subjected to frequent strip searches and searches of his cell. At a trial in March, he argued that his isolation amounted to torture.

Judge Helen Andenaes Sekulic of the Oslo District Court, who oversaw the trial, which was held at the prison for security reasons, found on Wednesday that prison officials had violated an article of the European Convention of Human Rights that prohibits “inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.” She directed the government to reduce the extent of Mr. Breivik’s isolation — though she did not specify how — and ordered the government to pay Mr. Breivik’s legal fees of 331,000 kroner, or about $40,600.

However, she dismissed a related complaint that the prison officials had also violated the convention’s guarantee of respect for private and family life, and rejected Mr. Breivik’s demand for fewer restrictions on receiving visitors and sending and receiving phone calls and letters. The government has said that it restricts and censors his communications to prevent him from encouraging violent extremism.

A government lawyer, Adele Matheson Mestad, said that officials disagreed with the court’s conclusions and were evaluating whether to appeal.

The decision outraged many Norwegians. “What a pathetic verdict,” Silje Grytten, a political adviser to the Labor Party in the Norwegian Parliament, wrote on Twitter.

On July 22, 2011, Mr. Breivik killed eight people with a bomb at a government building in central Oslo and then fatally shot 69 people at a summer camp on the island of Utoya. Dozens of others were wounded.

Mr. Breivik claimed that he had been on a “martyr operation” to stop a Muslim invasion of Europe, leaving behind a manifesto depicting himself as a modern-day crusader against jihadists and part of a larger organization.

At his trial in 2012, the court found that he was instead a lone wolf, a computer game obsessive who had prepared his rants and plotted the killings from a bedroom in his mother’s house.

He was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum, though he could serve longer if he is deemed a threat to society.

Mr. Breivik sued prison officials last year, asserting that the government was “slowly killing” him.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I, personally, do not think any human being should be kept permanently in solitary confinement. Our justice systems are based on imprisonment, not torture. Therefore the crime committed or how much a lay public might think he deserves torture is not relevant.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I did not know other countries had idiot judges. Perhaps they could start a coalition and compare ridiculous rulings?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I, personally, do not think any human being should be kept permanently in solitary confinement. Our justice systems are based on imprisonment, not torture. Therefore the crime committed or how much a lay public might think he deserves torture is not relevant.

I'd agree, except that in this case I'm not sure he qualifies as a human being. Also, it's pretty disgusting that he will likely only serve under six months per victim.

I'm opposed to torture under any circumstance, and I'd reserve solitary for some pretty extreme cases. But I think we have here a pretty extreme case.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Having a TV doesn't protect against the trauma of solitary confinement. I'm reminded of a US prisoner who had been kept in solitary for years--when he was given a TV, he couldn't watch it because it triggered hallucinations that had resulted from his seclusion.

The granting of luxuries is not synonymous with humane treatment.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many friends he's likely to make among his fellow inmates. A murderer of 77 innocent people isn't likely to be particularly popular.

ETA:

I also note he was a "lone wolf" with a computer game obsession. It doesn't sound like he was a particularly social guy before he was imprisoned.

Last edited:

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree, except that in this case I'm not sure he qualifies as a human being. Also, it's pretty disgusting that he will likely only serve under six months per victim.

I'm opposed to torture under any circumstance, and I'd reserve solitary for some pretty extreme cases. But I think we have here a pretty extreme case.
He's a homo sapien. He breathes. He bleeds. He can be subject to mental torture. It's not our job to sympathize, respect or even like the guy. Being civil to him doesn't mean that we agree with he did any more-so.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion, but your lecture will not sway me to it. I'm also entitled to mine. Neither will make any impression on the Norwegian court.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion, but your lecture will not sway me to it. I'm also entitled to mine. Neither will make any impression on the Norwegian court.

I see and that's fine, but I'm more curious as to where you disagree. Do you believe he's not human enough to not be able to be more mentally ill or not human enough where his torture doesn't concern you?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think if you slaughter 77 innocent people for no good reason, you forfeit a claim to a certain amount of humanity, yes.

That said, I'm opposed to waterboarding him, starving him, beating him, shining bright lights in his eyes, or subjecting him to autotuned music 24/7 -- I'm opposed to doing that stuff to anyone. But I really do not have a problem with a brutal anti-social mass murderer being confined to solitary. Particularly when his maximum sentence by law gives him a couple of months per dead victim.

And frankly, I am not sure how well this guy will survive in the general population. I shall not shed tears over him, whatever happens.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I see and that's fine, but I'm more curious as to where you disagree. Do you believe he's not human enough to not be able to be more mentally ill or not human enough where his torture doesn't concern you?

The humanity privileging in this thread saddens me, tbh.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm with Cassandra on this one.

Solitary (especially in such a gilded cell) is fitting and appropriate for a crime of this stature.

I see no reason to be overly concerned for his mental health or well-being. Also, I'd argue that torture is active -- waterboarding, electrodes on nipples, what have you. Solitary confinement is passive, and part-and-parcel for this punishment.

Of course, I'd argue that this is one of the few situations where his death would be warranted, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
My point is that I don't think we teach them right by doing them wrong.

When someone kills 77 people, I'm really not so concerned with teaching him right.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Just because this wretched excuse for humanity calls his imprisonment torture doesn't mean that it is.

He's not in solitary confinement. Solitary confinement is when they stick you in a cell and you have no contact with anyone and just sit there 24 hours a day.

He has a comfortable cell, or rather suite of rooms, is allowed phone calls, letters, and visitors, plus of course being able to receive input with the outside world via his TV.

He's simply not allowed to mingle with other inmates. Perhaps curtailing his freedom of speech and association makes him sad because he can't try out his virulent speech and genocidal racism on other inmates, and perhaps find a willing ear.

Philosophically, I believe no matter what the crime it's wrong to torture or to treat an inmate to inhumane conditions. Although with some crimes I have to admit it's hard not to make exceptions. But this guy is not being treated inhumanely – he's just not being given all the perks available to, say, someone who burglarized a house.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't know, rugcat. I'm not so sure he'll be taught right unless he gets the blu-ray and can stream movies on demand. Also, in addition to the treadmill, he should have an ellyptical machine so he can cross-train in his suite.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Coalition of Ridiculous Judges. What a great title, for, something. *makes a note*

I admit I gleefully selected "send him to Texas" but in fact that might give someone there ideas so, better not. It was a hasty vote, ill-considered. :D

I don't think this person can be rehabilitated. He should continue to be incarcerated, and probably in solitary since the solitary conditions described are quite humane. If he gets out among the general population, he might escape. That would be unfortunate.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
All the fun things Anders Breivik can do in his inhumane prison cell

Breivik’s private prison compound consists of three personal cells: “one for living, one for studying, and a third for physical exercise,” according to Agence France Presse.The studying space is important for Breivik: in 2015 he enrolled in political science courses at the University of Oslo. A university representative will visit his cell to teach the classes, as Breivik is not allowed to access the Internet on his in-cell computer.

Yes, he has a personal computer in his cell. He also has a personal television and a Playstation 2, which he deemed insufficient, threatening to go on a hunger strike if it was not upgraded to a Playstation 3, AFP reported in 2014.

Breivik’s grievances extended to the quality of the rubber pens in his cell.

“If it were theoretically possible to develop rheumatism, I am convinced that this rubber pen would be capable of causing it,” Breivik wrote in a letter obtained by the New Yorker. “It is a nightmare of an instrument and I am frustrated by its use.”

From the confines of his three-room cell, Breivik is able to do his own laundry and cook, even making a gingerbread house for a prison competition, the BBC reports. He has access to an exercise yard, newspapers, and phone calls. And unless Breivik is considered an immediate danger to society at the end of his sentence, he is only confined to prison for 21 years, the maximum sentence available in the country.

ETA:

69 of his victims were children. Christ.

His complaint about the pens is particularly priceless.

Some "solitary confinement" that is -- he gets personal tutoring from a university professor.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
When someone kills 77 people, I'm really not so concerned with teaching him right.

It's a little late to teach him anything. I'd suggest that his conditions should be those of a twelfth century anchorite.

It's nice and aesthetic. Especially if you're keen on being walled up with a small outside window that must be smaller than your head.

You're not allowed to talk except to your priest for confession.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's a little late to teach him anything. I'd suggest that his conditions should be those of a twelfth century anchorite.

It's nice and aesthetic. Especially if you're keen on being walled up with a small outside window that must be smaller than your head.

You're not allowed to talk except to your priest for confession.

For this guy, I think I'd be fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.