PDA

View Full Version : The Army's Freshwater Navy

Sargentodiaz
04-15-2016, 02:55 AM
http://grambo.us/atav/lcm8.jpg

For all who enjoy military history or those who lived through it or those whose parents did, this is a fascinating read about The River Rats and the Mike Boats they plied up and down the Mekong River of Vietnam.

I have no idea if the author is still around as his link doesn't work. I've been on them and this brought back lots and lots of memories. The Army also operated tug boats that pushed refrigerated and plain barges on the Mekong and it took just as much guts to operate them as the crews on the Mike Boats.

And yes, the navy was there with its Swift Boats, something we were always thrilled to see. (And the navy had awesome mess halls we sometime got to use. You might also check out Mekong Ambush on Amazon.com.

Read this @ http://grambo.us/atav/hartman.htm

Haggis
04-15-2016, 03:21 AM
Sarge, I may be wrong but it seems to me that the Coast Guard may have been there in some boats as well.

Thanks for the link. :)

blacbird
04-15-2016, 04:33 AM
I actually served in Vietnam during this period, as an Army journalist, and did a story on these guys. They also are featured in Coppola's extraordinary movie Apocalypse Now. And upon my return to the states, I was sent to Ft. Eustis, Virginia, where these guys train (or at least did at that time). Upon my arrival as an E-5 sergeant, one dumbass captain in personnel wanted to assign me as NCO for stevedores at the facility there. I told him no, and he kind of gulped and found me a better position. For some reason that base, at the time, seemed to have very few Vietnam vets, he wasn't one, and I think he might have somehow been scared of me.

Which is actually pretty funny.

caw

Haggis
04-15-2016, 04:37 AM
I actually served in Vietnam during this period, as an Army journalist, and did a story on these guys. They also are featured in Coppola's extraordinary movie Apocalypse Now. And upon my return to the states, I was sent to Ft. Eustis, Virginia, where these guys train (or at least did at that time). Upon my arrival as an E-5 sergeant, one dumbass captain in personnel wanted to assign me as NCO for stevedores at the facility there. I told him no, and he kind of gulped and found me a better position. For some reason that base, at the time, seemed to have very few Vietnam vets, he wasn't one, and I think he might have somehow been scared of me.

Which is actually pretty funny.

caw
Understandable. More than one of us is scared of you here.

James D. Macdonald
05-14-2016, 04:48 AM
And upon my return to the states, I was sent to Ft. Eustis

Wow. You were at Fort Useless? Small friggin' world.