PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Author Release Event

hsavage
04-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Hey guys! So...I'm finally releasing my debut novel :snoopy:

It's coming out May 24th, which really doesn't give me much time to focus on promotion. I don't even have a cover yet!

But I did create a release event for May 28th because it's a Saturday. My question is this: Is it considered bad form to email authors an invite? I'm not sure I have enough "followers" on my facebook. I mean...I'm friends with several authors but since it's my debut I'm worried they don't want to advertise on my event. Idk...I'm so nervous on how to get more authors to participate! Nobody will want to come if there's only three people haha. Anyway, what is your advice?

Old Hack
04-14-2016, 11:37 PM
If you're going to send out email solicitations, people have to have voluntarily opted in to receive those solicitations. Otherwise you're spamming them and could get your email account suspended.

If you want people to engage with your launch you have to engage with them first. That doesn't mean trying to get them to buy your books; it means talking with them, becoming friends. Read the "SEO Dweeb" thread in this room, especially the first post, which will give you a good grounding in how to promote effectively.

oceansoul
04-15-2016, 01:16 PM
An author friend of mine and I are doing a virtual launch party because our books come out on the same day and in the same genre. We're both doing physical events as well, but for that won't be for a few weeks after the book releases.

We've been promoting it by sharing the link on our author pages, a few times on twitter and on instagram. (We're playing Bookish Cards Against Humanity! <-- shameless mini plug. Join us!) I think spamming via email isn't a good idea. Create a virtual event page on Facebook and then share that link in a public way to make sure it's visible. People who want to be there will make time!

I've been asked to host spots for friends on their virtual releases. If we're actually friends, I don't mind being approached, but I'd be upset if someone I didn't really know approached me. I think if you're close enough to these authors that you regularly chat on FB or Gchat and talk about mundane things like your kids, what you ate for dinner on friday and bookish anxiety, then you're probably close enough to solicit them ... if not, probably it's spam.

greendragon
05-03-2016, 04:12 PM
I've participated in launch parties before as well. The more authors that participate, the more of their own fans they can bring to see the other authors (and you!). As Old Hack said, allow them to opt out. Engage. Be sweet, friendly and humble.