Keiko Fujimori wins first round of presidential elections in Peru

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Keiko Fujimori, the conservative daughter of jailed former president Alberto Fujimori, led the first round of Peru’s presidential election on Sunday but fell short of outright victory and faces a run-off in June, three The close race for second place and a spot in the run-off was between Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, a centre-right former World Bank economist, and the left-wing lawmaker, Veronika Mendoza.
Support for Fujimori, who is 40, slipped after tens of thousands protested against her on 5 April, 24 years after her father shut Congress with the support of the army.

A runoff between Fujimori and the 77-year-old Kuczynski would likely ensure Peru’s free-market economic model remains intact. Kuczynski is seen as Wall Street’s preferred candidate.

link

As much I'm frustrated by the overt support of most of Latin America's left to Chávez and his poltical party, I think many of them have done quite good to their countries and this surge of right-wing government is a bit worrying to me. I mean, one thing is electing someone like Argentina's Mauricio Macri, your typical neoliberal suit. Another thing is voting for the daughter of a president who is jailed for crimes against human rights whose campaign has been "I promise I will only do the good things my dad did".

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
She was asked about it in an interview and gave a vague answer saying it will be studied by corresponding legal means and then abruptly ended the interview. Now she claims her father's pardon is not a political topic but a constitutional one.