William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
In his final year in office, President Obama has spent a significant amount of time emphasizing what he sees as his long list of accomplishments since 2008, but in an interview today he also admitted what he considers to be his "worst mistake."

"Probably failing to plan for, the day after, what I think was the right thing to do, in intervening in Libya," Obama said an interview with "Fox News Sunday."

The 2011 U.S.-backed intervention that helped topple Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi wound up thrusting the country into turmoil that has only spiraled downward since.

Both Obama and then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton continue to argue that it wasn't the removal of Gaddafi that caused the chaos, but rather the failure to prop up a stable government in the days following. An ISIS affiliate has since gained a foothold in the country, and the U.S. has carried out airstrikes against "ISIS camps" as recently as February.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-worst-mistake-president/story?id=38289813

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly in the running...

I would have thought it was droning the fuck out of innocent people, even if by honest mistake. So much collateral damage...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The cop had to pay because Biden claimed he left his wallet in his other suit.
Hillary and Bernie went to lunch with Al Sharpton and Michael Moore. Last I heard they were still setting around the table waiting for someone else to pay the bill.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly in the running...

I would have thought it was droning the fuck out of innocent people, even if by honest mistake. So much collateral damage...
I'm with Diana. I think droning the fuck out of innocent people has to be at the top of the list.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When did droning become a transitive verb?

I like it!

And no, no one at Obama's level would ever call that a mistake let alone a major one. It's just sloppiness, not at all the same thing. :/

Plus which, I don't know that he's even admitted the excess.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
When did droning become a transitive verb?

I like it!

And no, no one at Obama's level would ever call that a mistake let alone a major one. It's just sloppiness, not at all the same thing. :/

Plus which, I don't know that he's even admitted the excess.

When he was visiting the University of Chicago Law School last Thursday a student asked him about this. He gave a detailed answer partially reported in the New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/us/politics/obama-garland-university-of-chicago.html?_r=0

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's certainly smooth.

I remain unconvinced, particularly since I believe there is great effort expended to keep the appearances of this as clean and minimized as possible. I do not claim to know facts with certainty but I don't automatically discredit reports that in fact drone assaults have killed far more innocent civilians than we hear of.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I think loathing over drones is excessive.

Not because killing innocent people isn't bad - it is, of course. But if you make the decision to engage in military action, you are inevitably making the decision to kill some innocent people. It happens.

So, what's so extra-awful about drone strikes? I think people have a visceral reaction to the idea of "robot death machines" operated from around the world by people who aren't actually on the battlefield. It seems... unsportsmanlike. Ironic that so many liberals are responding the same way knights did to the longbow. But drones aren't particularly more likely to kill innocents than an air strike, a bombing, a shelling, or a Special Forces team sent into a populated area.

We have instituted controls on them to try to minimize collateral damage, but of course, any lack of evidence that we're actually "droning the fuck out of innocent people" is just evidence that the evidence is being covered up.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i credit him with the self-awareness to acknowledge a lapse that many people saw coming for a foreign policy neophyte such as he was.

it was easier for him to condemn the bush doctrine as political theater than it was to predict and plan for the fallout of his own saddam-like overthrow.

granted, he did not follow regime change with an invasion that led american troops to slaughter and be slaughtered, but i doubt that's any consolation to the lives uprooted and destroyed in the debacle since, especially with the ascension of the "JV" team of ISIS in the region.

it's also an interesting choice in that it reminds the public of one of hillary's most notable foreign policy adventures, which captured her at perhaps her smuggest with the "we came, we saw, he died" comment.

interesting choice all around, but an honest answer from the president... a true rarity among the political class.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are a substantial number of people in this country who continue to believe, unshakably, that his biggest mistake as president was to be of African ancestry . . . and born in Kenya. One of these is currently leading in the polls for the Presidential nomination from the major opposition Party.

caw

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yes, but in trump's defense, he is a melting orange creamsicle with a clown wig made out of owens fiberglass insulation.

it might be useful, for just this thread, to step away from the campaign and merely comment on obama based on his own merits.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
And never was the melting orange creamsicle made less appetizing. Even if you toss aside the insulation.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
it might be useful, for just this thread, to step away from the campaign and merely comment on obama based on his own merits.

Okay. Apologies for the bit of a derail. As for Obama's self-assessment, it does strike me as a more open and straightforward assessment of his Presidential actions than we usually get. Aside from ACA, his Presidency shapes up as being largely about foreign affairs rather than domestic policies or legislative accomplishments. The Libyan situation wasn't one of the more positive things, but it's also hard to say with confidence that any other course would have produced a better result. The fall of Qaddafi was a chaotic mess, complicated by the rise of extreme Islamist factions, now including ISIS. It's still a mess. And the idea of "supporting a stable regime" there seems to me to be wishful thinking at best.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Back on the more serious topic, I agree that it's refreshing that Obama was open about this being his biggest mistake.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
i credit him with the self-awareness to acknowledge a lapse that many people saw coming for a foreign policy neophyte such as he was.

I'm just glad that Hillary Clinton was there to step in and remind him to come up with a plan before they went in. And surely that experience will serve her well during the next war she leads us into.

But speaking seriously, I find Obama's comments pretty surprising (in a good way), since he was still blaming others just last month. I agree with you; it's not everyday political leaders own up to such an enormous mistake.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obama's biggest mistakes should include...

1. Hiring all those Wall Street cronies and hacks to serve in his administration.
2. Allowing Rahm Emanuel to slither into his White House staff.
3. Declining to prosecute anyone from the Bush Administration for their role in torture and the illegal war in Iran.
4. Referring to Islamic State as a "JV (junior varsity) team" and being far too slow and cautious in his response to the threat they posed.
5. Accepting the Nobel Peace Prize without really doing anything to deserve it.
6. Squandered precious political capital on trying to bring Republicans on board when it was clear they were trying desperately to sink the ship.
7. Paying lip service to reforming discriminatory prison sentencing, the failed War on Drugs, and police misconduct and doing relatively little.
8. Had so little clout in Congress he couldn't get even the most modest gun control reforms through as Congresscritters know there's no political price to pay for blowing the president off even after 20 children were slaughtered.
9. Didn't come close to bringing any Hope or more Change to Washington. The system is more broken than it was and Americans have even less faith in it.
10. Has vastly expanded the national security state on his watch.

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it is nice that he is so open about this. I remain unconvinced it's his biggest mistake, but I feel on the whole, he believes it is.