Native Americans dispute Dictionary.com definition of "powwow"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.12news.com/news/nation-n...-dictionarycom-definition-of-powwow/122979700

...When the wordy web-giant defines “powwow” as a gathering where Native Americans practice magic, it’s bound to get some negative attention.

This is what happened when Indian Country Today Media Network saw the definition and asked for a change.

The discovery comes weeks after an uproar surrounding “Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling’s newest series, “A History of Magic In North America” where Native American magic is a central theme. Critics claim the author gave a view of Native Americans based on stereotypes.

Dictionary.com agreed to remove the word "magic" but as of yesterday it was still there, according to the article. (Screen cap of the offending definition at source. I removed it from the post here.)

Makes me much less trusting of Dictionary.com as a definition source.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
http://www.12news.com/news/nation-n...-dictionarycom-definition-of-powwow/122979700

Dictionary.com agreed to remove the word "magic" but as of yesterday it was still there, according to the article. (Screen cap of the offending definition at source. I removed it from the post here.)

The heck?

I've never heard powwows associated with magic, and I'm about as clueless and white as you can get. What was the source, here?

(The cynic in me wonders if it's more directly related to the new Potterverse movie than they're letting on - viral marketing.)

Twig2

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see your point. According to the article, "dictionary.com agreed to explore making changes to the definition, and remove the word “magic” after consulting with a professor of Native American Studies as part of their editorial process."

I would assume that they have written to the professor in question, and are politely awaiting her reply. It hasn't been a week yet.

(Or, it could be that the professor wrote back to say that the definition was indeed correct.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They agreed *after* consulting.

They have consulted. The professor confirmed the error. They agreed to make the change. The change has not yet taken place. The reason why has not been stated.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brightdreamer, here's the link to Indian Country Today Media Network. No, I don't think this is viral marketing for Rowland. (ETA: The source I linked in the OP is an Arizona news outlet who clearly picked up on the story from the ICT Media Network.)

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...om-agrees-drop-magic-powwow-definition-163973

Twig2, the point is that the research should have been done before a definition was posted in the first place. And a further point is that this is precisely the kind of damaging misinformation that gets spread around about indigenous cultures.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

I am not a fan of Dictionary.com. This is just one example of why, but the issue that annoys me the most about them is that they pick definitions not based on most commonly used but on what they like. This isn't how lexicographers work.

My personal favorite is The American Heritage Dictionary (https://ahdictionary.com)

And the definition of powwow is a pretty good example of why.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The heck?

I've never heard powwows associated with magic, and I'm about as clueless and white as you can get. What was the source, here?
Call me 'Clueless in Canada' but when I think of powwows, I think of dancing and frybread, not 'magic'. Religious ceremonies, possibly, but not 'magic'.

According to the article, "dictionary.com agreed to explore making changes to the definition, and remove the word “magic” after consulting with a professor of Native American Studies as part of their editorial process."
What reputable dictionary puts 'consulting with a professor' and 'editorial process' as sort of an afterthought?
"Sounds cool, stick it up on the site, and see if anyone complains. If they do, we can check with a professor or something." I do not believe this is the way Mr. Webster intended the process to work. I wonder how often this has been done to other words, that either no-one looks up, or no-one has noticed the 'wrongness' of the definition.
At this rate, Dictionary.com is going to turn into Urban Dictionary.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
At this rate, Dictionary.com is going to turn into Urban Dictionary.

For my money, it already has. Not often, but occasionally, I'll see a word here that I think is being misused and the only places I see it used in that context are Dictionary.com and the Urban Dictionary. Total turn-off.

My first choice, like Lisa's, is The American Heritage Dictionary. Sometimes, not often, I'll back it up with a quick check with Merriam-Webster or The MacMillan Dictionary. Generally, though, it's my definitive go-to.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I wish people would quit casually using it to mean "a meeting or discussion" too.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Brightdreamer, here's the link to Indian Country Today Media Network. No, I don't think this is viral marketing for Rowland. (ETA: The source I linked in the OP is an Arizona news outlet who clearly picked up on the story from the ICT Media Network.)

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...om-agrees-drop-magic-powwow-definition-163973

Oh. I was wondering if there was a source out there somewhere that linked powwows and magic (maybe some old 19th-century write-up that considered all NA customs black magic), since I'd never heard of such a connection and was wondering how Dictionary.com came up with such a definition. I always associated the term (roughly) with an intertribal gathering, but never with the practice of magic.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I was wondering if there was a source out there somewhere that linked powwows and magic (maybe some old 19th-century write-up that considered all NA customs black magic), since I'd never heard of such a connection and was wondering how Dictionary.com came up with such a definition. I always associated the term (roughly) with an intertribal gathering, but never with the practice of magic.

I see. I misunderstood what you were asking, then.

And, according to the definition in the AHD that AW Admin linked, originally there was a ceremonial aspect which by some is confused with magic, but honestly, it's pretty far-fetched.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I always thought a pow wow was a meeting of leaders. Kind of like a council meeting. Deciding on laws and rules and what not.

Could be talking out my arse, obviously.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see your point. According to the article, "dictionary.com agreed to explore making changes to the definition, and remove the word “magic” after consulting with a professor of Native American Studies as part of their editorial process."

I would assume that they have written to the professor in question, and are politely awaiting her reply. It hasn't been a week yet.

(Or, it could be that the professor wrote back to say that the definition was indeed correct.)

You do all that before even writing the lemma, never mind the actual definition.

It's idiotic to publish the definition and then do the research; it's certainly not standard practice for lexicographers.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I wish people would quit casually using it to mean "a meeting or discussion" too.

I prefer "palaver."

Linguistic borrowing happens, though, and loan words often wind up being used out of context from their original meaning.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought a pow wow was a meeting of leaders. Kind of like a council meeting. Deciding on laws and rules and what not.

I'm not familiar how the term is used traditionally since it's not from my tribe, but modern powwows are generally Pan-Indian social gatherings with food, social dances, arts & crafts, etc.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the one in austin every november has been a family tradition for us for nearly as long as my kids have been alive.

America's Proust

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I know about American Indians on the mainland is what I learn from the History Channel or what I learned in school. Seriously, though, when I saw that "magic" thing, I laughed. I always thought "powwow" meant "a council meeting." Kinda like the Joint Chiefs of Staff or the Federal Council of Switzerland.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I know about American Indians on the mainland is what I learn from the History Channel or what I learned in school.

Ohh, was it Ancient Aliens?

A distant relative (in-law) of mine appeared on it talking about how our kachinas are aliens...

Yeah, we don't like him very much...

America's Proust

Registered
Reaction score
Uhh...no. No, this was back when the History Channel wasn't a bad joke filled with annoying and repetitious reality shows and conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ohh, was it Ancient Aliens?

A distant relative (in-law) of mine appeared on it talking about how our kachinas are aliens...

Yeah, we don't like him very much...

Well, to be fair, pretty much everything on that show boils down to "aliens had to have done it 'cause I can't explain it and they weren't us." Everyone's ancestors had to have alien help to cross the street, apparently...

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Uhh...no. No, this was back when the History Channel wasn't a bad joke filled with annoying and repetitious reality shows and conspiracy theories.

My family do watch it for Pawn Stars and American Pickers. We like learning facts about antiques and other historical items. (My parents sell antiques and old stuff as a hobby/part time job.)

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Magic? Who thinks it has anything to do with magic? I know very little, but I at least know that.
That was the contested definition noted in the OP. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.