Underrated movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As long as today seems to be "movie thread" day, this one: Movies vastly underrated and underappreciated (and I'm not looking for obscurist French or Swedish symbolism things, but more normal Hollywood studio-type movies that for whatever reason, tend to be largely forgotten today, and don't deserve it. I'll start with a couple of 40-year-old-plus B&W westerns, both starring Kirk Douglas. He tends to get roundly vilified these days as a wooden actor with a mask-like smile who played clichéd hero roles, but in these two films, he played complex semi-villains, and is real good:

There Was a Crooked Man, also with Henry Fonda
Posse, also with Bruce Dern

I may add more to the list in a while.

caw.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Siesta, with Ellen Barkin and Gabriel Byrne.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
61* with Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane. About the home run race between Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. Wonderful film.

Mystery, Alaska. Russell Crowe right before he became infamous. Eclectic cast of Alaskan pond skaters play a pro hockey team. Peppered with David E. Kelley's signature dialogue.

Mindhunters. Forgotten thriller with a decent cast (who else but Renny Harlin would get Val Kilmer, Christian Slater and LL Cool J in one movie?). Great twist-upon-a-twist at the end.

Lake Placid. Another David E. Kelley penned film. Bill Pullman and Bridget Fonda hunt a giant crocodile in a Maine lake. I'm serious. It's worth it just for Betty White's scenes.

With Honors. Has any college student not seen this movie? I still cry at the end, and I've seen it half a dozen times.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Cinderella Man. I usually don't go for Ron Howard's movies (except, maybe, Apollo 13) but I think that was one of his best movies.

Friday Night Lights. An all-American story about football that has an unconventional ending.

Annabella

writer again
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
61* with Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane. About the home run race between Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. Wonderful film.

Mystery, Alaska. Russell Crowe right before he became infamous. Eclectic cast of Alaskan pond skaters play a pro hockey team. Peppered with David E. Kelley's signature dialogue.

61* GREAT FILM!!! Thanks for reminding me about it.

I like Mystery, Alaska too. But then I have an obsession with hockey and I like all hockey films...

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
The Abyss directed by James Cameron. Great underwater thriller.

Don't know if this would be considered underrated but I'll add Das Boot in there too. It's about a German U-boat crew during WW2. Pretty much the epitome of submarine movies.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:
Don't know if this would be considered underrated but I'll add Das Boot in there too. It's about a German U-boat crew during WW2. Pretty much the epitome of submarine movies.
Hey, the book was great too! I am going to read it again later this year and then maybe see the movie.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bugsy Malone --

Fun gangster-type musical film, with kids in all roles (Scott Baio and Jodie Foster as leads); excellent Paul Williams soundtrack. The gatling guns pumped out whipped cream and the cars were all pedal cars. Sounds absurd, but it really is a fun, original film.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
Bugsy Malone --

Fun gangster-type musical film, with kids in all roles (Scott Baio and Jodie Foster as leads); excellent Paul Williams soundtrack. The gatling guns pumped out whipped cream and the cars were all pedal cars. Sounds absurd, but it really is a fun, original film.

I'll have to dito that one.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting: I couldn't bear to watch it... but there you go. Chacun a son gout!

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Snow Falling on Cedars. A beautifully made film that didn't get the attention it deserved.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Another sleeper that should have gotten more notice.

And Cinderella Man should have made the list for Best Picture.

Cheryll

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to second, What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

(and I'll probably be back with more)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . most of the movies cited after my initial post don't seem to me to qualify, really. Things like Gilbert Grape, Das Boot, Driving Miss Daisy, Snow Falling on Cedars, Cinderella Man, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Abyss hardly can be regarded as obscure or forgotten. Obviously most responders don't watch obscure films.

caw.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Silent Running with Bruce Dern. (happy now, bird?)

Excellent movie, maybe unknown to anybody who hasn't seen a movie more recent than The Phantom Menace, but hardly obscure. Well . . . maybe in Florida . . .

But, for SF, how about The Quiet Earth? Or A Boy and His Dog?

caw.

Status
Not open for further replies.