PDA

View Full Version : Buying an engagement ring in Moscow?

morngnstar
04-06-2016, 06:51 AM
I did some research, and found out that engagement rings are not traditional in Russia, although some couples may follow western traditions and give them. My question, though, is would it be easy enough to find a diamond engagement ring in Moscow? My groom is American, but visiting Moscow, and expects himself to give a ring, whether his bride expects it or not. Second question, would it be possible to find a relatively small diamond, or are engagement rings only popular with wealthy couples, and thus most on sale would be extravagant? My couple are in a situation where they need to pinch their pennies. Also, this is all ca. 1997 if that makes a difference.

Thanks, русские.

cornflake
04-06-2016, 07:02 AM
There's a Tiffany's in Moscow. I mean I'm sure there are plenty of Russian jewelry stores as well, but that's a guaranteed traditional American thing.

frimble3
04-07-2016, 04:33 AM
If they're needing to pinch their pennies, I'd suspect that he'd be better off going to a local jeweler and looking for a small, simple diamond ring. Going to Tiffany's, you're paying for the name, the prestige, the image. Especially if the Russians who want 'American-style' engagement rings are wealthy. They're going to go for big and flashy, as the purpose is to show off.
And, he may 'expect' to give a diamond ring to his fiancée, but if they truly need to pinch their pennies, how is she, or her family, going to feel about the 'unnecessary' expense? If Russian tradition is to just get a wedding band, a simple ring with a modest stone that she can wear anywhere might be more practical.

Tocotin
04-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Hello,

The first Tiffany store in Moscow was opened in 2014.

The custom of exchanging engagement rings is found in Russian traditional culture as well (for example, at one point of history the man was supposed to present the woman with a golden ring, and she him with a silver one).

If your guy doesn't have that much money, he could ask someone to take him to a jewellery shop, or if he is cautious and/or doesn't speak Russian, ask the hotel staff to show him one. (The staff would be happy to do that, as they could receive commission from the shop.) There would be quite a few such stores in Moscow I guess.