Should I let agent know I got auto-receipt twice?

ctina

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

This may be sort of a weird technical question with a dual focus. So I sent out a query last night to an agent I feel really good about. I got the auto-response right away. "Thank you for your submission, if we're interested, we'll be in touch. No response means no, etc."

But then today, I received the auto-response again.

Is this probably just a weird email glitch? Should I let the agent know their email does this? (And, in the most optimistic part of my brain, I can't help but wonder a teeny bit if they actually intended to make a request--because my research shows that they typically respond within 24 hours when interested--but through some freak occurrence, inserted the auto-response form and didn't notice. Can that even happen? I feel silly even asking.)

Thank you!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say I wouldn't worry about it since you did get notification that your submission was received. However, if they typically request more within 24 hours when interested, imo that changes things. I can see why you are wondering if perhaps they did intend to send you other news and you were sent the wrong thing. Yes, I think I would shoot them a quick email about it. Good luck!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Ive heard an email can be opened by interns up to a half-dozen times as they sort incoming mail into piles. That might be generating email glitches...?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, that's a tricky one. On the whole I think I'd check in with them. Most agents know how nerve wracking queries are for us and they won't blame you for being cautious.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
If Auto-response's are generated automatically -- then they won't be manually sending them.

Perhaps you got a second auto-response when they forwarded it to someone else in the office to take a look at.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know how frustrating getting your hopes up can be, but I wouldn't check in. Like Tiggs said, if it's an auto-response, then it's generated automatically and not something that someone would accidentally send instead of a request email. It sounds like an email glitch.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
If it's an email glitch, it night do well to let them know anyway. I'd write and mention it.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
If Auto-response's are generated automatically -- then they won't be manually sending them.

Perhaps you got a second auto-response when they forwarded it to someone else in the office to take a look at.

Yep and yep.

I'd hold tight and wait for a real reply - if they want to request pages, it won't be an auto-response.

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would e-mail them about it. I mean, if it was a mistake and they meant to give an offer or rep, you really would not want to miss it... but on the other hand, if they were just going to quickly scan over your query this might make them look it over twice. :p So it's really a win/win. (Just my opinion). Good luck!!!

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn’t send a follow up. Like others said, it’s probably an email glitch. Sometimes I don’t receive emails until two days after they’re sent. Technology. *shrug*