Here's something that might be fun and does have to do with Politics, but it's kind of OT.

historygeek402

Frolicking in the 1910s
Registered
Reaction score
One of my other writer groups asked this question and I thought it would be interesting to ask it here.
If your character was a real person and a voting American in this current election, who would he or she support for POTUS?

My answer: Lucian would vote for Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton (and he would have been a HUGE President Obama fan)

He's from the early 20th century/WW1 era. For historical accuracy, I wrote him as a supporter of the Progressive Movement, a liberal, a pacifist. I lean a bit more 'right' than my own character does (I'm more center-right, whereas he is more center-left), so it was fun for me to write him as he is and look at different perspectives. To do this, I researched several different political opinions during the early 20th century. Because there were major issues that took place back then, I very lightly touch on Lucian's thoughts of things like the Suffrage movement (he was pro-Suffrage, his mother and his wife were Suffragettes) the Unions (he was pro-Union) and WW1 (he was for America's continued neutrality and liked Wilson's pacifist approach to the war during the first years). He liked Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

Just to get into the minds of your character, how do you think he or she would vote and why?

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Most recent MC hasn't voted since a mock election in high school. He doesn't see himself connected to the larger world around him. He will. Local and state politics will have a personal, life-threatening impact on him.

ETA: Wow. That came out like a plug. For a book that's not finished yet. Sorry.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Michaela would probably agonize a bit over the choices, but would ultimately vote Democrat.

Pamela wouldn't vote, or if she did, she would probably be one of those people who puts "Mickey Mouse" as a write-in candidate or something. Or she would vote for whoever Michaela voted for, in an effort to impress her.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
She'll probably vote Eisenhower for re-election, even though his threats to use nuclear weapons to end the police action in Korea scared the dickens out of her. Thought why on earth doesn't he do something about that dreadful McCarthy fellow (the nerve, chasing her brother and half her friends out of the country with those dratted subpoenas! And her father wonders why on earth a woman would care about politics.)

eta: I misread the OP - if we're playing with the current election, she'd be all in for Clinton, mostly because she thinks it's her last chance to see a woman elected President in her lifetime, and she's seen enough history to realize why that's important. Plus ca change and all that.

Last edited:

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
My MC is just on the edge of voting age and she would vote for Bernie. She's kind of that share everything, we'll figure out how to pay for it idealist. A woman president is cool and all that, but it's not like it needs to happen right.now.because.

Funny, how it's easy to figure out who each of my characters would vote for. Neat exercise, thanks!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating thread, historygeek402!

Hmm, Em lives in 1933, but to put your question to her, well, she'd have to think long and hard. She's a hard worker, self sufficient, and dedicated to her old hotel, so the the great "generosity" of Sanders probably wouldn't appeal to her. Em's devout and devoted to her humble little mountain church, but Cruz is too ..., too ..., too much so, and she has the feeling she'll be made to feel guilty for being a strong, independent woman. Trump terrifies her and she feels even though she's isolated in the mountains she could make decisions better than he. She knows little of Kasich, but at least he's not silly. Clinton has elements that bother Em such as accusations of lying and corruption. Clinton is a strong woman, and in the mountains women must be strong. But would she make a good president? Em hopes so.

Em checks the box for Clinton, folds the ballot, and slips it into the slot in the box.

HomewardBound

Everything's Shiny.
Registered
Reaction score
My MC/narrator was raised in Ohio in the late 1800s, which was a time and place where whole generations were raised Republican. At the time, if you were an Ohioan who grew up to be Democrat, someone had done something wrong. My MC does not view himself as a deep political thinker (although he's smarter than he thinks he is). So, in the 2016 primaries, he would have voted for Kasich, because he's an Ohio Republican. It really would have been that simple.

Not knowing for sure who the nominees will be for the general election, I can't say for sure who he'd vote for in November. If Kasich isn't the Republican nominee (and he's almost certainly not), it will probably be a lot harder for me to figure out.

In the time of actual history, he would have voted for William McKinley (also an Ohio Republican) in both of his elections. Still, he probably would have been interested by William Jennings Bryan, mostly because of the support of the Grainge movement, and might have broken with his party to vote for him against Taft in 1908. (Yes, I do know my early 20th-century election history. Why do you ask?)

EDIT: Haha, I remember my history, but I momentarily forgot my MC's age. He would not have been old enough to vote in 1896, so his first presidential election would have been McKinley vs. Bryan in 1900. From that point on, what I wrote above still applies.

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago, I decided thanks to AW's help, that I wasn't really cut out to be writer. My most recent MC however probably wouldn't agree with me on the issues facing the US, and would have been voting for Fiorina or Clinton, and calling me lazy and not feminist enough.

She might have been a little bit angry.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Vote?

The mightiest sword gets all the votes where my character is from.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
It's kind of fun to see where other characters in my WIP fall on the political scale, too. I have an ensemble cast of teens, so they're as hyperbolic as it gets. I've got one guy who just wants to see it all burn. He'd probably vote for Trump. :evil

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Same boat as DPA, so I will go with my last WIP abandoned years ago.

Mother of the tribe (so to speak), would have reached age of majority in the vicinity of Cornwall, Ontario. American election? Would not vote. Latest Canadian election? Perhaps Trudeau though I'd suspect her voting history would show her going against the region's history of being a loyalist hotspot.

1891: J.D. Snetsinger (Loss for Laurier's Liberals)
1896: J.D. Snetsinger (Win for Laurier's Liberals)
1900: Ambrose Mulhern (Loss for Laurier's Liberals)
1904: Robert Smith (Loss for Laurier's Liberals)
1908: Robert Smith (Win for Laurier's Liberals)
1911: G.I. Gogo (Loss for Laurier's Liberals)
1917: (?) J. McMartin (Borden's Unionists)

She died in the Spanish flu and therefore never participated in any more elections. Her two sons are something I have not traced all that particularly well.

The first son's children haven't been properly traced yet. The second son's children haven't completely been traced. But the second son did decide to become invested in the bush pilot industry in Edmonton and so had one adult child living in Edmonton's northside and would have reached the age of majority in 1946. In the last election, he would have remembered the October Crisis poorly and would have voted for the NDP.

1949: (?) HJM Ross (loss for MJ Coldwell's CCF)
1953: (?) A.F. MacDonald (loss for Louis St. Laurent's Liberals)
1957: (?) William Hawrelak (loss for Pearson's Liberals)
1958: J.D. Bracco (loss for Pearson's Liberals)
1962: John Decore (loss for Pearson's Liberals)
1963: Donald Brinton (loss for Pearson's Liberals)
1965: Nick Mosychuk (loss for Pearson's Liberals)
1968: Pat Shewchuk (loss for PE Trudeau's Liberals)
1972: Ashley Pachal (loss for Lewis' NDP)
1974: Bill Kobluk (loss for Lewis' NDP)
1979: Lynn Fogwill (loss for Broadbent's NDP)
1980: Jo Evans (loss for Broadbent's NDP)
1984: Muriel Stanley-Venne (loss for Broadbent's NDP)
1988: Ross Harvey (win for Broadbent's NDP)
1993: Ross Harvey (loss for Mclaughlin's NDP)
1997: Hana Razga (loss for McDonaugh's NDP)
2000: Ray Martin (loss for McDonaugh's NDP)
2004: Janina Strudwick (loss for Layton's NDP)

The rest of the characters were not defined well enough to get a good grasp of their history. The third child (daughter) of the grandson who lived in Edmonton continued to live in Edmonton for some years when she was an adult but it gets really sketchy on pinpointing dates. Perhaps 1976 to 1980. The problem with her was that she was not particularly involved in politics at the time.

The next generation is hazy.

The last generation (of which only one gets represented in the story) never gets to vote in Canadian politics.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My MCs?

Jeremy would vote for Bernie, Ash would vote for Hillary, and Jorey wouldn't know who to vote for because he's an alien and wouldn't be caught dead on Earth.

...Earth's a dangerous place, man.

Did you know we keep around 60,000 nuclear bombs!?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I've been trying to think of who my MC would vote for and I'm not really sure.

He's ex military, so he'd want someone strong on defense. He's left of center for social issues. He's pro law enforcement, yet dealt with a lot of corruption in law enforcement.

The problem is, he wouldn't like any of the candidates. He'd hate Trump, and not be a fan of either Cruz or Hillary. I think he'd respect Bernie, but not go for him. Kasich?

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
It's fun to live inside the head of a person you essentially invented. When I first thought this might be a vocation, I guess I didn't think clearly about how, after all, there are steps to the process that are not a priority for me. And this current election, my goodness all of our characters would be just as conflicted I would think, as we are, if they're smart.