Emily Dickinson and Bugs Bunny: Kin Under the Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I was idly poking through a library shelf of old cookbooks, in a small town in Connecticut last summer, I picked up an odd collection of recipes titled Tasty Beasts: Cooking and Seasoning Wild Game. I thumbed it open and from its pages fell a poorly printed broadsheet, folded in quarters. I read its message with some amusement, and, as it was clearly marked "In the Public Domain" I see no harm in sharing it here with you.

Emily Dickinson and Bugs Bunny: Kin Under the Skin

by Harvey Dickinson Coney

Whilst it might seem a startling notion, that a 19th-century poet and a cartoon character of the 20th have much in common, nonetheless we can easily demonstrate a stunning similarity in the work of these two creative artists. To start, we can notice that each is from a group that can be defined as an underclass: Dickinson, a female poet and a spinster of an era when neither category held any respected value in the world; Bunny, a cartoon jokester, generally unclothed, non-white and non-human. Nonetheless, both have achieved great fame and even, perhaps, immortality in their respective arts.

Notice first that each is a master of the brief and pungent in expression. Bunny is a satirist, a humorist of the one-liner par excellence; Dickinson's own humor is similarly wry and packs a mean punch, while she unfailingly makes her point with the fewest possible words. Neither is ever long-winded. Both take deadly accurate aim at the stodgy and unquestioned pillars of conventional habit.

Each has become an icon of cultural literacy, and the work of each is a rich repository of fertile memes of understanding and expression. Each expanded the boundaries of literary art beyond what had been considered its purview previously. No one had ever written like Dickinson and even now no one could possibly emulate her voice and style with any success. As for Bunny, the Saturday Morning Cartoon, in his capable feet, became a vehicle of biting cultural commentary and satire while entirely retaining its value as a child's entertainment. This implies yet another similarity: Dickinson is often mistakenly considered by the unperceptive to be a minor poet, of sweetness and no depth, as Bunny is most often thought of as a simple cartoon character, a minor entertainment for the very young. Both invite of the perspicacious a second, and longer, look which in each case reveals surprising depths of resonance and meaning.

One finds in their work this common, overarching theme: the courting and escaping of Death. Dickinson openly calls Death's bluff, epressing an almost cozy familiarity with that state, and seeming at times to blatantly invite it into her intimate sphere. Bunny rudely defies Death in every episode, essaying complex and mysterious escapes from its clutches and thumbing his nose at fear.

Indeed, one might consider Emily Dickinson and Bugs Bunny siblings in art. Easy to imagine Emily munching a carrot like a cigar and intoning, "Nyeh... What's up, Doc?" whilst Bunny proclaims, "I'm Nobody! Who are You? Are you Nobody too?"

Yes, a common Muse has blessed these two in a creative friendship, deeper than gender, class, century, or even species.

What on EARTH was she THINKING!?!?!?

Last edited:

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bugs Bunny? Pshaw. Her true "kin under the skin" is Bullwinkle J. Moose.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just what I was coming in to say. Let's see some bonafides there, Scribhneoir. Exactly how does Moose even rate? I mean, does Moose even have language?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wascawwy Wabbit! He's nothing like Emiwy Dickinson.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wascawwy Wabbit! He's nothing like Emiwy Dickinson.

Please counter the arguments tendered. The similarity is more than skin deep.

Have a carrot?

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Written by Harvey Dickinson Coney, eh? Guess he should know.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a sign on the bulletin board outside the library, anonymously offering a lifetime supply of carrots to anyone who could locate other writings by Coney. It looked pretty old....

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So do those carrots, frankly.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'S alright, carrots keep a long time. Especially up north where it's cool.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Turns out the real problem was, Harvey had a hard time getting anybody to take him seriously because most of the time they couldn't see him. Every now and then he'd come into view, but wearing a long skirt, so people didn't take him seriously then either, to their shame and loss.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now, now, let's don't be so hasty! The broadsheet was tucked in an old cookbook, true, but itself was not of the same era, clearly. The term "meme" dates from 1976 and was purportedly coined by Richard Dawkins however, you will note, it derives from a much earlier ancient Greek word, "mimeme" which means "that which is imitated."

Given the otherwise unquestionable authenticity of the document, we could even postulate that Dawkins did not, in fact, coin the term, but stole it from Harvey! who was without doubt a scholarly and erudite fellow whether fully visible or not.

(April Fool? The night is young!)

Status
Not open for further replies.