Can an Irish Author submit to a US agent?

~Athena~

Bring me that horizon
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

The Irish literary agents scene is extremely small (there are only three big names really!) and the majority of Irish authors submit abroad to the UK. The UK would be much more ideal for me to submit to obviously due to it being a short and cheap plane flight away.
However, I would like to submit to a handful of US agents as well, such as Laura Dail etc., because they represent some of my favourite authors who write books of a similar genre to the one I am currently trying to get published.
Does anyone know what the general protocol is on this seeing as Irish writers essentially have to enquire abroad in Europe anyway due to a small home market?

(P.S. The American agents I have bookmarked don't say anything about international submissions on their websites as far as I can tell).

Thanks Guys! :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes an Irish author can have an American agent.

Get an Irish barrister familiar with the special protections Ireland offers writers to go over any contracts.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Athena, my understanding is that with email, agents often don't know or care where the writer is. If you can write for the audience the publishers they sell to can reach, they can make it work. What this does to your tax situation and such is a matter for your barrister and tax advisor to figure out.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't Ireland have that lovely clause where you can live without paying tax on your writing? Or are they getting rid of it? (Cries)

Zaffiro

Registered
Reaction score
It used to be that you didn't have to pay any income tax on any amount of income from creative work (novels, songwriting royalties, painting, etc). You still had to pay PRSI (social insurance tax).

Now you don't have to pay income tax on the first 40,000 euros per year, which is still pretty good for the average artist. You do have to pay PRSI and the Universal Social Charge, which together are anything up to I think 14%.

Ireland doesn't offer any other special protections for writers, and IMO you don't need a lawyer to look over your contract. You just need to apply for the artists' exemption and make sure you pay your PRSI/USC (a few writers who didn't realise they had to pay those have been caught out over the years).

Sure, an Irish writer can have a US agent. Frank McCourt, to grab the first example I can think of, is represented by the Friedrich Agency.