PDA

View Full Version : Press releases for box sets?

itsvictoria_b
03-31-2016, 05:45 AM
I'm preparing to release a box set in May and I have no idea where to start in regards to creating one. There's a thread about creating one, but I'm not sure how to go about creating one for a box set that will only be digital (it would be too big to print). Any advice on how to go about creating one or some kind of template to follow?

Old Hack
03-31-2016, 10:32 AM
There's this useful thread:

Press releases for box sets? (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?317518-Press-releases-for-box-sets)
But you're asking for help with the press release, specifically, so some of that thread isn't going to be helpful for you.

My first thought is that if you're planning on releasing this box set in May you've already missed the boat as far as most reviewers are concerned. Many good publications--print and digital--require three months or more to get reviews written and scheduled; bloggers and need time to read your book, and get the review written.

A good press release needs to tell people about your book in a way which makes it sound interesting and which gives journalists something to write about. So you start by saying what's going to happen; then you give some background information (the books included in the set, how well they've done alone, etc; you add two or three quotes from significant people (the author, for example, or quotes about the books from reviews or recognisable names); and you give any specific information people are going to need (available from these places, price, size of the box set, for example).

frimble3
03-31-2016, 12:25 PM
And, if the books have already been released individually, what's in it for the person who already owns the books separately? Are they getting 'extras' of some sort? Unfortunately, a digital set loses the one big draw of a print version: it doesn't look all cool and cohesive on the shelf.