• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I don't know whether to get beta readers for this manuscript...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
After finishing the third draft of a novel, I thought I'd find a few beta readers, do another draft, then try to find an agent. However, there was an online pitch session through my local RWA chapter, and I submitted on a whim. The editor liked my query, requested the full, and said she loved it and would take it to the acquisitions board. The editor works for a publisher that is not Big 5, but a significant independent publisher in the genre, and it pays advances and is not digital first. So I put the beta reading plan on hold. Unfortunately, today I finally heard that the publisher will not be offering me a contract. Although the editor and other people at the publisher love the book, they are not convinced it has enough mainstream appeal to sell a lot of copies. Which isn't terribly surprising because it's a rather bizarre book. An affectionate parody of the romance genre, I suppose you could say.

So I don't know what to do now. Should I assume, given that editor's response to the manuscript, even though they didn't ultimately make an offer, that the book is strong enough to query? Or should I get beta readers and see what they say, then make more changes? It could be useful to see what people think and try to make it better. But I'm a little worried that this might tempt me to tinker with it unnecessarily, or mess with it a lot and potentially make it worse. Plus it's time-consuming, both for beta readers and for me. (And maybe this project is too damn weird to get any major publishers interested anyway, and I would be better off spending time on something that might not be impossible to market? I'm trying not to think about that.)

Thoughts?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
My thought is to submit as is to other houses. If you got that far, someone else will see the same merit, and possibly believe there's more of a market for the book. If you change it too much, you might destroy what it is that makes it unique. You can always go to Plan B later, if and when you run out of other places to send it that look equally attractive. My 1.5 cents.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Tbh, the idea of not having to revise again is such a relief, but I worried I was just taking the easy way out...

o.Nixie.o

Registered
Reaction score
I always vote for more eyes on a manuscript, especially if they are reading for errors and content. I ask my readers if they felt I was missing something, how the flow went, etc. Sometimes just those little bits help me realize where I went wrong or right.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with getting the other eyes on it. I never send anything out without getting other eyes on it. There have been way too many times when something made perfect sense to me but not to anyone else, or that I'd unintentionally filled something in with my mind rather than on the page, etc. I do not think I'm unique in that. Just don't make any of the changes suggested unless you're sure you agree.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...well...the plan was to start querying tomorrow...

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any harm in waiting for a few weeks to have one or two people give you a reader's-eye view? Yes, you came close to knocking it out of the park on the first try, but maybe a few adjustments here and there and you'll hit a genuine home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.