33,000 people say they want guns allowed at the Republican National Convention

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
ETA - The good news is that this petition wasn't real. The bad news is that it's so hard to tell these days.

Apparently there hasn't been enough rumble to the threat of big violence at political rallies this year.

In a few months, the GOP's convention will be held in Ohio, which is an open-carry state. The venue for the convention, however, prohibits firearms. The NRA, armed with whatever it usually is plus a petition weighed down by 33,000 signatures so far, is appealing to Governor Kasich, also a Republican Presidential hopeful, to override the Quicken Loans Arena's policy and let the convention-goers pack heat at will.

It wasn't always like this. Back in the heady, sane days of 2012 -

Regardless of the rules for the venue itself, security at national political conventions is always tight: in Tampa in 2012, convention-goers had to go through multiple security checkpoints and metal detectors to get into the convention space. They were also not allowed to bring firearms in with them.

And Reince Priebus is in the hotseat over it, as well.

It also calls on Ohio Gov. John Kasich, himself a GOP presidential hopeful, to use executive authority as governor of Ohio to override the "gun-free zone" at the convention site, and on Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus to offer "an explanation of how a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention."

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are more I am sure. The petition was still growing at that count.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the petition was intended as satirical.

The petition on Change.org has already attracted the signatures of more than 33,000 people who seem to believe that making the arena a gun-free zone violates their Second Amendment rights.

Except that the petition is surely fine satirical commentary. A blog called Hyperationalist has claimed responsibility.
He or she writes: "It just doesn't seem right that thousands of patriotic Republican good guys should be left totally unprotected by whatever bad guys might wish to do them harm. I mean forgodsake people, ISIS could show up to take out everybody in and around that building and they'd be sitting ducks. Sitting ducks, I tell you! There might even be a bad egg or two among the delegates."

Hyperationalist didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's my question too.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I didn't realize it was a joke. I didn't sign it, but I did check it out and read through it. Honestly, none of it surprised me, most of it is in line with actual rhetoric used by those that believe the 2nd amendment trumps all else.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if people are still signing it. I didn't see anything saying it's been taken down (haven't looked myself, obv.) The goal was 50k signatures and I think the last tally I saw was 44k.

I've been trying to imagine what would happen if open carry were permitted -- if the petition were to effect that result, and a whole bunch of people carrying guns attended the convention. It boggles.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if people are still signing it. I didn't see anything saying it's been taken down (haven't looked myself, obv.) The goal was 50k signatures and I think the last tally I saw was 44k.

I've been trying to imagine what would happen if open carry were permitted -- if the petition were to effect that result, and a whole bunch of people carrying guns attended the convention. It boggles.

It's at 48K now.

I suspect if the attendees were packing, the candidates would stay home. They would, of course, attribute their reluctance to attend to the concerns of the Secret Service.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
If they all come to the gates armed, the USSS is gonna need a lot of help.

As funny as this is, this has the real potential to get ugly, especially if the undersigned honestly believe they have a constitutional right to carry arms into that stadium.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a great start. Now if we can just get one going for the Dem convention...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Wait. Does that mean the people who signed it didn't realize it was meant to be a joke?
I don't know how this can be determined. The petition is at 50K now. Reading it, it seems obvious it was satirical. Look at this part:
This doesn't even begin to factor in the possibility of an ISIS terrorist attack on the arena during the convention. Without the right to protect themselves, those at the Quicken Loans Arena will be sitting ducks, utterly helpless against evil-doers, criminals or others who wish to threaten the American way of life.
Good stuff.

I would wager that the great majority of people signing it a) knew it was satire and were helping it along or b) did so in the hopes that people would be outraged. I'm sure some portion signed it earnestly, though I think it is a small minority.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I don't know how this can be determined. The petition is at 50K now. Reading it, it seems obvious it was satirical. Look at this part:
This doesn't even begin to factor in the possibility of an ISIS terrorist attack on the arena during the convention. Without the right to protect themselves, those at the Quicken Loans Arena will be sitting ducks, utterly helpless against evil-doers, criminals or others who wish to threaten the American way of life.

How is that obvious satire? That was exactly the argument (only without naming flavor-of-the-week ISIS) for ending the ban on guns in the New Hampshire statehouse: if they didn't have their guns they'd be sitting ducks.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Besides being a demonstration of stupidity by anyone trying to spin the issue in any direction, I'm pretty sure I could gather 33,000 signatures across the country for ANY petition for ANYTHING.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
My guess, it was a mix between trolling and true believers. There are plenty of people out there who think they have a right to carry on the convention floor. Gotta have something to defend yourself against the protesters and infiltrators, after all. Or when the riots start after establishment chicanery steals the nod from Trump and gives it to Romney or whatnot.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
How is that obvious satire? That was exactly the argument (only without naming flavor-of-the-week ISIS) for ending the ban on guns in the New Hampshire statehouse: if they didn't have their guns they'd be sitting ducks.
Utterly helpless? Sitting ducks?

To me it seems like obvious satire. But sure, there are people who think that way. That's what makes it effective satire.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Besides being a demonstration of stupidity by anyone trying to spin the issue in any direction, I'm pretty sure I could gather 33,000 signatures across the country for ANY petition for ANYTHING.
Yep. Even to ban water. And these folks are sincere, too.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I read dozens of comments from those who signed and I didn't see a single serious signer (except for being serious about exposing hypocrisy). There may be some, but I didn't come across any. The real beauty of the petition is the summary--the quotes from the GOP candidates about the dangers of gun-free zones.