PDA

View Full Version : That Author Reminds Me Of...

randi.lee
03-27-2016, 03:25 PM
I know we all pine to have a %100 truly unique voice. However, let's face it, given the saturation in the writing world, someone's bound to compare all of us to someone else at some point or another.

So, here's a fun game! Name the author you'd like to be compared to. Who are your heroes in the literary world? Who would it complement you to be compared to?

As for me, someone once compared me to a young Philip Roth and I was tickled pink.

I'd also accept Pat Conroy.

You?

Taylor Harbin
03-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Haven't been compared to anyone yet. However, as far as the quality of prose, I'd like to be compared to either GRR Martin. "A Game of Thrones" is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read. The words are saturated with substance, like a James Michener novel, or Frank Herbert's "Dune." Yet, I don't have to flip back and forth between the text and the appendices to know what's going on. As Brandon Sanderson said, "Show just enough to tell the reader that there's a bigger world out there." His frankness is great, but he puts a grandiose storyteller spin on it in just the right places, like the last line of Thrones: "And for the first time in centuries, the world was filled with the music of dragons."

I might change my mind once I read more authors.

paddismac
03-27-2016, 07:40 PM
I've had more than one person compare my writing to Douglas Adams. I was flattered to the point of hyperventilation! I mean, Douglas Adams?? No way! It was certainly nothing I had ever consciously set out to do, so they had to be mistaken.

But then something strange happened. I was reading an excerpt one day with no idea who wrote it, and thought to myself "Heh, this sounds like I wrote it!" And it turned out to be... Douglas Adams!

I know the comparison may or may not have been a compliment. The similarities that I can identify are a fondness for repetition of phrase or idea (which is often flagged by critters as "redundant") and the over-stating of the obvious for comedic effect (flagged as "unnecessary".) :Shrug:

There are probably a dozen authors I'd love to be compared to, but, good or bad, I'm fine with what I've got! (until agents or editors tell me no one wants to read it.)

Liosse de Velishaf
03-27-2016, 08:54 PM
I suppose Kazuo Ishiguro, China Mieville, or Catherynne Valente would be okay with me. Maybe Lev Grossman? Daniel Abraham?

Jamesaritchie
03-28-2016, 01:36 AM
I get Louis L'Amour for my westerns, Patrick McManus for my humor, and Mark Twain for my MG. This is more than fine with me. My mysteries get compared in style and voice to Robert B. Parker or Mickey Spillane. I would have thought Lawrence Block, but no one has made this comparison.

Emermouse
03-28-2016, 05:18 AM
In terms of my style, I try for Libba Bray or Susan Beth Pfeiffer. But I've also recently fallen in love with Shaun Hutchinson and Tommy Wallach.

cmi0616
03-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Hard to say, because I find that my voice changes drastically from project to project. A professor who once looked at a novel I was writing (now abandoned) kept insisting that there were similarities between my work and Norman Mailer's (a comparison I wasn't entirely comfortable with and don't think is really accurate).

The latest WIP, for which I might actually have an agent (long story), was written to be in conversation with David Foster Wallace. Of course, I'd be quick to point out that I'm speaking only in terms of style and theme. I in no way touch Wallace in terms of talent.

I often find the style of Amy Hempel very useful for writing short stories.

scifi_boy2002
03-28-2016, 10:45 PM
I put a sample of my writing in one of those "who do I write like analyzers" and it came back that I wrote like Dan Brown. I don't put much credence in those type of things, but I can see how I could be compared to Dan Brown's writing.

Gilroy Cullen
03-28-2016, 11:35 PM
Oh, that's a toughie...

David Weber or Sir Terry Pratchett

Roxxsmom
03-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Someone compared me to Robin Hobb once, and I was flattered, even though I don't really see it.

The writing analyzers always think I'm Ursula K LeGuin, but that's because I write fantasy (I think), and she and Tolkien may be the only "traditional" fantasy writers in their database? They go off word recognition, and I think the use of words like "mage" might have tripped it.

KTC
03-29-2016, 08:17 PM
I don't really have any. If I had to come up with one, I'd say Michael Chabon.

In my reviews, though, I've been compared to John Green, Laurie Halse Anderson, and, Stephen King. All comparisons blew me away. Completely. (-: