Best Horror Movies of All Time?

itsvictoria_b

Registered
Reaction score
I pray I'm not the only horror fan on this forum, but what are your favorites? I'd say Halloween (made in 70s/80s) and Nightmare of Elm Street (made in the 80s/90s). There are a few newer ones that I like, but the overuse of CGI and special effects cause them to suck. Oh, and The Exorcist is still one of my favorites to this day! How about you?

itsvictoria_b

Registered
Reaction score
Original "Wicker Man" for me.

That's a great one also! The remake was just terrible. But then again, I usually hate remakes because they always ruin the original movie! For example, all the remakes of Carrie seem to get worse with the new one. Sissy Spacek will always be the best Carrie!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
"The Changeling" w. George C. Scott. Not a gore-fest, no chainsaws, but scary as heck. And, all the characters, living and dead, had reasons for what they did. Not nice reasons, but reasons.

G.A. Xandus

Registered
Reaction score
Besides Exorcist, I think the original Thing movie and both versions of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Guess that was more suspense than horror..

itsvictoria_b

Registered
Reaction score
"The Changeling" w. George C. Scott. Not a gore-fest, no chainsaws, but scary as heck. And, all the characters, living and dead, had reasons for what they did. Not nice reasons, but reasons.

I'll definitely have to check that out! It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it at the moment.

itsvictoria_b

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on a possessions movie kick lately and came across The Rite. That's pretty good also! It definitely wasn't what I expected.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
The Thing, Alien, Saw, Woman in Black...

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Saw, The Orphanage, Insidious, Sinister, The Babadook, Evil Dead 2, and The Others for me. My taste in horror films is more towards the newer ones, but it feels like they make so few good ones these days.

Also, although it's not technically a horror film, Inland Empire might be the most unsettling/scary film I've ever seen. I watched it when I was 18 or so, and even though I have nerves of steel when it comes to horror movies, I literally couldn't watch the whole movie in the dark.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
The Exorcist scared me; I saw it at a theater and had to sleep with my bedroom door open for 2 weeks. It loses something on tv. Texas Chainsaw Massacre scared me, though I wouldn't really list it as a good horror movie. The Thing was good, first version and also the second version with Kurt Russell. Alien is good, but the original Halloween is probably the best.

TECarter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tecarter.com
The Changeling (George C. Scott) is fantastic. The Others, The Babadook, Blair Witch Project, Insidious, The Exorcist (cheesy now but conceptually still terrifying), Pan's Labyrinth (although not really horror), It Follows, The Ring, Texas Chainsaw (original), Cabin in the Woods... It depends what you're looking for, although I tend to find movies scarier when you see nothing and things unfold slowly than a lot of action and carnage (although the first Saw movie has such a great ending).

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
Nosferatu (1922).

Texas Chainsaw (original). That movie actually didn't have a lot of gore or blood. When Leatherface slams that door closed and you hear the bones breaking... Gah! I hate that sound--creeps me out.

I have so many favorite horror movies! Nosferatu is my all-time favorite, but I love some of the newer ones as well: Insidious, Cabin in the Woods, From Dusk til Dawn, Alien, Predator, The Conjuring, Texas Chainsaw 3D (I didn't see it in 3D, but I did love it--Alexandra Daddario was a great lead).

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
The Elm Streets and 'It' were so good I had to completely stop watching horror movies for about 5 years to recover. (And to stop imagining that clowns were hiding behind every door and under every bed.) And I was very used to watching horror films! Bloody clowns...

I prefer horror films with 'real' effects, like The Thing and American Werewolf in London. As opposed to totally CGI. Much, much scarier.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably put The Descent in there somewhere. Certainly it's one of the best recent ones.

And mmmaybe Martyrs? The original French version, obv. That's the darkest movie I've ever seen (and I hope it stays that way).

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Alien and The Thing for me, easy. Never seen anything like them before or since.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I had to do a Joey from Friends with the Alien videotapes when I was a kid. Didn't keep them in the fridge, but I made sure they were on a high shelf under something heavy.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I do love a well-done horror film. I think it's the hardest kind of film to get right.

One of my all-time favorites is a horror-comedy that managed to be both hilarious and properly scary - Severance.

The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, The Thing, The Others are some excellent ones. I will always love the original Poltergeist. The Ring and The Descent are two of the scariest. In more recent years, I liked The Cabin in the Woods, Mama, Occulus, The Conjuring, and the first Insidious film. 28 Days Later, the old Amityville Horror, the early Final Destination films, Paranormal Activity, I could go on and on... oh wait. Too late.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Horror is my favorite movie genre, so you are definitely not alone. My personal faves of all time are:

Poltergeist
Scream
The Cell
Aliens
Paranormal Activity
Flatliners
Candy Man
Nightmare on Elm Street (the original)
Fire in the Sky

Gah! There are so many, I could sit here all day naming them. I actually have a Pinterest Board dedicated to just horror movies!

Last edited: