PDA

View Full Version : Converting word doc to ebook format/pdf

Sports
03-24-2016, 05:13 AM
Let me start off, that I'm new to converting docs to ebooks. I did research but have some questions about using Calibre:

1. Converting to PDF: I saw from a video to convert a word doc to web page and then convert to PDF. My word doc was under 40 pages, after I converted it, it was over 100 pages and the text was unusually spaced out. How can I make the text appear the same way as a Word doc?

2. I converted to Epub and Mobi. When I opened them on the viewer, my cover looks fine. When I maximize the page, the cover looks distorted. Is this most likely how it would look at tablets when the page is maximized. If so, how can I correct this?

3. Lastly, I don't have a tablet. Is their a way for me to preview my ebook on a software so i can see exactly how it would read on a tablet. (I'm aware of the view function on Calibre. Is this the only way to preview the book).

Thanks in advance for providing any guidance.

Dhewco
03-24-2016, 05:49 AM
https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A17W8UM0MMSQX6 Use that site to format for kindle/epub and then use Calibre to do the actual conversion. The website has good information on how to get a doc ready for conversion, even if you use Calibre and not them.

My two cents,

David

Sports
03-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks for your response. Will give it a try.

blrude
03-24-2016, 08:12 PM
I don't see the purpose of converting a word doc to web page then converting to PDF. In my experience, exporting a PDF directly from your word doc will preserve the formatting and have it look exactly the way it looks on your screen at time of conversion.

You should be able to either Save As > PDF or Export > PDF directly in Word. Good luck!

J. Tanner
03-25-2016, 03:08 AM
3. Lastly, I don't have a tablet. Is their a way for me to preview my ebook on a software so i can see exactly how it would read on a tablet. (I'm aware of the view function on Calibre. Is this the only way to preview the book).

You can download the Kindle Previewer which is an emulator for most of the Amazon tablets that runs on a PC.

And then download the Kindle Reader client for PC (or Mac or smartphone) to get a sense of how it will look on generic hardware.

(This isn't 100% foolproof, but 95% is as close as you can get without owning a test device or three.)