I've got a question that's been puzzling me.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Hi short_story! I don't usually post in this forum as I don't write in the genre but you asked a question I think I can answer - and hope others will pitch in and correct me if I"m wrong.

Chick lit. is usually 'lives and loves' writing with a very metropolitan flavor. The time is now and the main characters are women - a gal and her pals. Sometimes there are a few guy friends.

Think Bridget Jones' Diary and Sex and the City

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, short story!

Well, as it's presently being interpreted by the industry, "chick-lit" isn't so much a GENRE of book as it is a TONE of book. A chick-lit novel is funny--mostly sarcastic funny, about regular life foibles. Quite often, the protagonist is female, in her early to mid-20's and is an urban dweller (although not always.) There previously has been a tendency toward extravagance, from the clothing (designer) to the shoes (high-priced and stiletto) to the men (lots of them! ;) ) There are chick-lit mysteries (Lori Avocato), and romances (Katie MacAlister), and fantasy/paranormal (MaryJanice Davidson), among many others. Pretty much the only place I haven't seen chick-lit yet is in westerns and horror (but give people time!)

Early versions had fairly one-dimensional characters, but recent books have deepened the characterization and plot, while still retaining the overall humorous feel.

Does that help?