PDA

View Full Version : I've got a question that's been puzzling me.

short_story
04-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi all. I write erotic short fiction, multicultural.
I'd like to know, what is chick lit, and what does it mean? Or vice versa:Shrug:

Dawno
04-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Hi short_story! I don't usually post in this forum as I don't write in the genre but you asked a question I think I can answer - and hope others will pitch in and correct me if I"m wrong.

Chick lit. is usually 'lives and loves' writing with a very metropolitan flavor. The time is now and the main characters are women - a gal and her pals. Sometimes there are a few guy friends.

Think Bridget Jones' Diary and Sex and the City

Cathy C
04-23-2006, 05:49 AM
Hi, short story!

Well, as it's presently being interpreted by the industry, "chick-lit" isn't so much a GENRE of book as it is a TONE of book. A chick-lit novel is funny--mostly sarcastic funny, about regular life foibles. Quite often, the protagonist is female, in her early to mid-20's and is an urban dweller (although not always.) There previously has been a tendency toward extravagance, from the clothing (designer) to the shoes (high-priced and stiletto) to the men (lots of them! ;) ) There are chick-lit mysteries (Lori Avocato), and romances (Katie MacAlister), and fantasy/paranormal (MaryJanice Davidson), among many others. Pretty much the only place I haven't seen chick-lit yet is in westerns and horror (but give people time!)

Early versions had fairly one-dimensional characters, but recent books have deepened the characterization and plot, while still retaining the overall humorous feel.

Does that help?

short_story
04-23-2006, 06:41 AM
I think I got it. I think it was the mention of sex and the city, caused something to snap. LOL!

Thanks all!