Does this annoy anyone else?

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
The agent's bio on an agency's websites. Instead of listing what they represent, there's just a description of how the agent started, their hobbies, martial status/kids. I'd rather just read what they represent.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
The agent's bio on an agency's websites. Instead of listing what they represent, there's just a description of how the agent started, their hobbies, martial status/kids. I'd rather just read what they represent.

Not got that far and I'll probably self publish anyway as my fear of rejection isn't as bad as my fear of success. But you can count me as some one that cares not for the private details of a professional service provider.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like reading bios, whether it's an agent's, author's, or anyone else's. It seems to me an introduction, a substitute for the first impression you'd be able to get of someone if you could briefly meet them in person.

One thing I've noticed repeatedly and that does annoy me though (as a general impression, not especially having to do with literary agencies) is how often women's bios tend to include the personal information and men's do not. It makes me feel like oh, I get it, women are really all housewives who do a lil business on the side whereas men are too important and serious with their business to bother mentioning their family and interests. So to me, that backfires and I read it as such men being arrogant and self-important. Which would probably surprise them lol.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
An agent's biography is not what they represent, it's what they've done so far with their lives, so I'm not surprised that's what you're finding in the bio sections. I suspect there will be a list of the authors they represent elsewhere on the website, and some information about their requirements under their submission details.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I find that information very interesting and sometimes helpful. If I've got a book that involves music, for instance, I'm gonna be extra interested in querying an agent who trained as a composer or who sings as a sideline.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal