PDA

View Full Version : Magazine contests

Nerdilydone
03-11-2016, 12:53 AM
This is just to ask if anyone has ever entered/won a magazine contest. Is there any benefit to this? Did you like the experience?

Old Hack
03-11-2016, 11:00 AM
It depends what you mean by "magazine contest".

I've entered a few short story competitions run by magazines, and I won them or was placed.

Nerdilydone
03-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Well, how did it go? What was it like?

Old Hack
03-13-2016, 11:34 AM
They had no effect at all on my writing career, but the cheques were nice.

JenniferMannering
11-21-2016, 02:06 AM
What magazines?

Old Hack
11-21-2016, 02:24 PM
There are lots of contests and competitions out there if you look for them. I used to get a listing every month of the competitions which were running, with information about theme, closing date, prizes, and so on: I'm sure you'll be able to find them if you do a little searching.

stormie
11-21-2016, 06:24 PM
There is a woman's magazine (I honestly forget which one) that runs an essay contest each year. Grand prize is payment and publication in the magazine.
Problem is, when I read the rules, it said (and I paraphrase) that all entries become the property of the magazine and they have the right to do with them as they please. I reread it several times to make sure I understood that's what they were saying. So, be aware of what rights you're giving away, even if you don't win.

Jason
11-21-2016, 06:40 PM
There is a woman's magazine (I honestly forget which one) that runs an essay contest each year. Grand prize is payment and publication in the magazine.
Problem is, when I read the rules, it said (and I paraphrase) that all entries become the property of the magazine and they have the right to do with them as they please. I reread it several times to make sure I understood that's what they were saying. So, be aware of what rights you're giving away, even if you don't win.

A lot of photography contests are like this as well. The famous ones from NatGeo and similar pubs are really just rights grabs for lots of really good photography from hopefuls that don't get anything, but give up their rights in perpetuity.