Question on how a kidney injury feels

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I have a male character who is kicked in the lower ribs/kidney area and I don't know how this would feel, as far as kidney injury goes. I had it happen to me once a long time ago, and I seem to recall nausea and testicular pain. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!;)

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I don't know about being kicked in the kidney, but Ive had kidney stones a couple of times. It feels like someone is squeezing the kidney from the inside of my body. The pressure is nearly unbearable. The nurse told me that most men who come into an emergency room with kidney stones are vomiting and crying in pain. Its not quite as bad as being kicked in the testes, but its damn near there.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've been punched in the kidneys a couple of times and it bloody hurts. I remember it as a sharp severe pain radiating through my lower back.

But then, I'm female so.... no testes.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The kick you describe feels like a kick in the ribs. It is really hard to injure a kidney from impact, they are tucked up into a very protective cage. To injure the kidney like this would require rib breakage. Which would hurt like broken ribs. If you felt nausea and pain in your testicles, you weren't kicked in the kidney. That's a kick below the kidney.

Now, what do you need for the story?

Jeff

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Actually that's wrong, Jeff. The kidneys are low in your body and not fully protected by your ribs. You can get injured if they are hit and it damn hurts. I know this from experience. And the person who punched me aimed for my kidneys to teach me not to turn my back in a fight.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what being kicked in the kidney is like but I wonder, is it true if you are kicked hard enough in the kidney, you might pee blood for a day or two? Don't know if that is true or a myth. If it's true, sounds like you should go see a doctor.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
A week ago I slipped off the edge of an open staircase, and the exposed corners of the stairs caught my lower back on the way down.

I haven't peed blood, so I haven't seen a doctor about it, but I can say with authority that I was paralyzed with pain for a moment or two right after I landed. In that time I wasn't able to analyze the pain, only to pray for it to effing stop. The next day I felt like I'd been beaten up--I hobbled around and slept more than usual.

A week later I'm getting around normally, but I'm still too sore to like being touched right there (my 4-year-old is at just the right height to get me). It feels like the pain is deeper inside, not on the surface. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
In that time I wasn't able to analyze the pain, only to pray for it to effing stop.

It feels like the pain is deeper inside, not on the surface. If that makes any sense.

Katharine, looking back, do you remember the original pain well enough to describe it: stabbing pain, burning pain, etc.? Thanks. Hope you get to feeling better.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Katharine, looking back, do you remember the original pain well enough to describe it: stabbing pain, burning pain, etc.? Thanks. Hope you get to feeling better.

It wasn't stabbing or burning. It was all over my lower back, on the surface and into the muscle beneath, but not making any of my internal organs hurt (since other posters have compared it to being kicked in the cojones, let me note that I am female). Just a good solid "I got banged up" sort of pain. Like any other impact that would leave a bruise.