PDA

View Full Version : Submitting for YA and Fantasy (or both?)

theWallflower
03-09-2016, 06:46 PM
So I have a fantasy novel that also counts as YA (teenage protagonist, YA subject matter). So far I've just been searching for agents who represent fantasy. And if they also rep YA, that's icing on the cake.

But should I be targeting those who represent YA? So many of the books in the YA section are fantasy, I'm wondering if that's just part and parcel of the expectation. Or I could be mistaken, hence the question.

Aggy B.
03-09-2016, 07:24 PM
If you think it's a YA book, you should put that as the key criteria and fantasy second. There are a lot of agents for YA books of many genres, but not every agent who reps fantasy will want to take on a YA book. (Mine reps SF/F but doesn't do YA because he doesn't have the contacts with those editors.) Most YA is published by specific imprints - you need an agent who will know those folks at those imprints specifically.

Toothpaste
03-09-2016, 08:52 PM
I second that. YA is the thing to target. You need an agent who knows how to rep YA and knows the YA publishing industry and what YA editors are looking for. Good rule of thumb: if the agent doesn't specify what kind of YA assume it includes Fantasy. Only avoid those agents who say what they want specifically and it isn't what you've written.