[Fantasy] Build A Story.

Adam-X

Registered
Reaction score
So the way this works, is that you add as many sentences as you would like, to keep the story going. (Ideally somewhere between one to five or six sentences, so you don't completely highjack the growing story). It's mostly just a creative excercise; where you come in, see where the story is - and see what your creativity is able to add. There is no right or wrong here, as long as it follows the theme. I'd like to keep it serious (characters can be funny, but - if the story goes to where they're fighting a dragon - having someone drive up in an ice cream truck would obviously be out of place). :)

So I will start the first part...

The blistering sun rose over the western sky. Ferrus sneered as it felt the warm coming over him for the second day in a row. Bound to the post, punished for a crime he did not commit, he stared with seething hatred as day came again. Another day without food. Another day unable to sit. Another day, he had survived the night. The gods were either punishing him, or waiting for him to be saved...

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The blistering sun rose over the western sky. Ferrus sneered as it felt the warm coming over him for the second day in a row. Bound to the post, punished for a crime he did not commit, he stared with seething hatred as day came again. Another day without food. Another day unable to sit. Another day, he had survived the night. The gods were either punishing him, or waiting for him to be saved...

...or incredibly confused as to whether he was, indeed, an "it" or a "he." Ferrus was no longer certain himself. He thought he was still a "he," but bound face-first to the post as he was, he couldn't check the pertinent parts of his anatomy for a definitive answer. The rising sun in the west puzzled him as well. That doesn't seem right, he thought. Had the world somehow altered, and he along with it, during the night?

"Pssst," hissed a tiny voice, somewhere in the vicinity of his left shoulder...

;)

susanjhernandez

Patience, please; I'm learning.
Registered
Reaction score

"Pssst," hissed a tiny voice, somewhere in the vicinity of his left shoulder...
"What did they say you did?"

It was hard to tell much more than the gender of the voice, as far away as she must have been. "Who are you," he asked quietly. "Are you being held too?"

"I am," she replied, "but not for long" ...

Adam-X

Registered
Reaction score
"Not for long?" Ferrus questioned, trying to turn his head to face the direction of this new voice. "What do you mean 'not for long'... If you have friends who are coming to rescue you... just know they will hang you all for trying to escape."

"As opposed to remaining tied up for seven days and seven nights, to see if we survive," the voice replied.

It had been the law here; those supposedly caught doing a crime are tied to a post, to face judgement before the gods. They are to remain tied up for seven days, and seven nights. If the gods have deemed them innocent, they will be alive on the seventh day.

However, historically, Ferrus knew, those who did survive, did not survive with their sanity intact - and thus, were put away because of their mental state.

(OOC: Side note, I realize the sun on Earth doesn't rise in the West - but wanted to establish that this was a fantasy world, so the rules of "Earth" don't apply) :)

OTurtle

Registered
Reaction score
"Besides," she continued, "they are not my friends, and they are not coming to rescue me--if you can even call it rescuing--out of love for me. They have other reasons for what they do."

Ferrus gave up trying to turn his head. "You may as well tell me more. It's not like we have anything else to do."

"Well, all right, but it's not exactly pleasant, so don't say I didn't warn you." She sighed and began.

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
'If you looked at me now you would not see it, but once I was beautiful, with the longest, most luxurious hair in the kingdom. My cruel step-mother was jealous of my locks and locked me away in the top of the tallest tower. Every day and every night I dreamed of escape. Until one morning I couldn't take it any more and I jumped. My hair caught on the windowsill and instead of falling to my death, it yanked right out of my scalp and dropped me lightly on the floor. I lay bleeding and crying - for my hair, for my lost beauty, for my bleeding scalp, until an old woman found me. She had a wise face and handed me an apple, claiming it would restore my hair to its former glory. I bit into the juicy flesh and instantly felt my hair grow. Although it did not stop at my head. Oh no. It covered my whole body, growing from places a young woman such as myself should never have hair. I ran into the forest, crying, trailing hair. A group of seven men found me in the hollow of an old oak tree and took me in. They shaved my body and used my hair to stuff their mattresses. They made quite a profitable mattress business from me, making me stuff rival mattress seller's products with peas int he dead of night to sabotage them. Until I ran away. That's why they're looking for me. For my ever-growing hair.'

Ferrus was silent for a moment, then he said, 'How long have you been tied to this post?'

Adam-X

Registered
Reaction score
Ferrus was now doubtful that this woman tied up besides him - which he could not see - was perhaps closer to the seven day mark. She hardly seemed sane at all. And if that were the case, that means her "friends" - or whatever they were - were never coming.

Ferrus heaved a deep sigh, as the woman besides him continued rattling off her dramatic story, that Ferrus now regretted ever asking about. He felt that perhaps - due to her constant rambling - he would lose his own sanity long before the seven days ever arrived.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He considered this was the beginning of his own insanity. She paused and Ferrus imagined it was to catch her breath for the next round of crazy tales. He leaned his head back against the post and wondered if he was capable of bashing himself unconscious. The fourth moon of Theabold caught his eye and it gave him hope—and fear. It was full and nearing its jade-green phase. The Jadelings would soon emerge to feed for a single hour. Blind, they found their prey by voice.

At most, he had a few seconds to speak before sealing his lips shut from uttering another sound while the hungry Jadelings fed.

“So tell me more about this amazing hair of yours,” Ferrus said.

Last edited:

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
"It's long, blond and brunette. At least it was." She sighed. "Now it's curly - nappy, almost - and missing large patches. But it used to be the envy of everyone around, especially ... I better not say."

She let out an almost-inaudible whimper.

Last edited:

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Ferrus prayed to all the gods that he hadn't just heard what he thought he'd heard. A word hidden in that whimper.

He should ask her. He really should. But what if he didn't? What if he pretended he hadn't heard her, and let fate take care of this crazy girl? He could keep her talking, let the Jadelings take her. He could barely look after himself, let alone a-

'What did you just say?' he asked, before he'd realised he was asking.

The girl let out a small sob. 'Deliava.' she whispered, and Ferris thought again about bashing his head against the post.

'It's nothing,' the girl continued, 'Just a prayer my father used to say before he died. It means nothing.'

But it meant something to Ferris. It meant he couldn't leave this girl to die. He had to get them both out of here - he glanced up at the jading moon- and quickly.

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
The air turned thin and frosted, gentle aria came from the forest. Ferris' body lurched. The Jadelings were coming. He didn't want to use this. He was supposed to find a mundane way but he didn't want to be eaten. Stabbed, drowned, anything but eaten. Doing this would use up every drop of his enhancement. The Jadelings trotting came closer, nearly out of the brush by now. Ferris' let his hands raise higher and higher in temperature until he burned through the rope. Frantically he put out the fire that caught on his sleeves. He unbound his legs, and turned to face the girl.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
With each step the girl took to him, plants grew on the ground, and Ferris' eyes took delight in the sight of the colorful garden.

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
"Hey, neat! One of us will be the hero." A spindly humanoid whose eyes were obscured by jutting crystal, crawled on all six limbs. Ferris covered his ears as the Jadeling barked; several more Jadeling were scampering toward the forest's edge.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
And then a thick fog descended from the sky, providing cover from the evil Jadelings.

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
The two quietly crept toward a nearby stand of trees, careful not to make much more noise. Not too far, there was a road somewhere to the north.

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
'Did you make that fog?' Ferris asked once they were in the cover of the trees and heading North.
'No,' said the girl.
'Are you sure? It was pretty convenient, and you seem to have some weird-ass thing going on with nature.'
'What are you talking about?'
Ferris gestured to the abundance of flowers, grasses and little saplings growing where she stepped.
The girl lifted her foot and a daisy sprung up to greet her. 'I...I don't know why that's happening.'
'Well you better find a way to make it un-happen. We're not going to be hard to find if we leave a trail of garden behind us.'
The girl ground the daisy into the mud. 'You don't have to worry, I'm going my own way.'
'You can't!'
Ferris took a calming breath; it wouldn't do to scare her. 'Listen, I'm only going to tell you this once. The reason I freed you from that pole was...

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
"That prayer," he said. "Your father's prayer. Deliava was the goddess of Crystal Myth, and when that unstable planet finally blew, there was only one survivor--and I am that person's son."

"What are you saying?" The girl tugged at her her hair, hair, hair. "That my father is also--?"

"My mother. Which also explains...

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
'...why it only rains on Tuesdays.'

Ferris could tell from the way she tugged her hair, hair, hair, that she knew exactly what he was talking about. But was she going to come willingly?